is this shop screwing me for LU repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• is this shop screwing me for LU repair

I posted on here about my LU not working awhile back. I dropped it into reverse too quickly out of fast idle. It was recommended that I take a look at my shift shaft...so I pulled the PH and the shift shaft and it was fine....no twist, no rust...straight as an arrow. So I took it to a shop and they said they would fix the reverse. Calls me and says the reverse gear and clutch dog are worn, and that’s the problem. That makes sense to me. I get it back and put it in the water and go to back it off the trailer, and reverse starts to work, but as soon as I get a real load on it, I hear a loud bang, then click click click....same clicking from b4 I took it to him. I take it back and he says the cables just need to be adjusted, but leave it with him so he can look it over....he said he would take it to the water and test it. I get it back again, and same thing....go to back off the trailer and just the click click click...no bang this time. I just called him back and he got all defensive right away and said he replaced the worn parts and that’s it, must be something else. I don’t think he put it back right, and it popped out of gear (the loud bang), and ruined the new parts. he says there’s no way that happened..."its all splined, its just a couple parts that go back together, there’s no adjustments that could even be done" so my question is.....is it possible to put it back together wrong, so that the new parts broke? Or could there be something else wrong that is causing it to act exactly like before I took it to him? He’s says he tested it on the dyno and water and it acted fine, but both times it failed right away for me.

Thanks

What year and model is the motor

Comment

1988 90 Etlg

Comment

If it's not working right then clearly there is something wrong. probably needs to be taken apart again to recheck.
        Regards
        Boats.net
        Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Working...
        X