91 250 and winky blinky?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 91 250 and winky blinky?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The port motor flashes code 9 when its cold the blinks on and off when idling.

The starboard motor, the problem child, just blinks steady on and off the whole time with no cold start. This motor runs like its always on cold start and burns 3.5gph idling compared to 1.5gph on port.

now I'm really confused. help

Test the the thermosensor on starboard cylinder block.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

thanks

I tested the thermo sensor on the stove and it was good but I swapped it with the port motor anyway. I also swapped the CDI units between engines and no changes.

It seems like the harness isn't picking up the signal from the thermo sensor. Is there a way to jump the sensor to put the engine in cold start mode?

Comment

After hours tonight some new developments.

idling at 700rpm it burns 3.8 gph and blows fuel in the water

with fuel pump unplugged it idles at 900 rpm and burns 2.7gph with less fuel in water

with fuel pump unplugged and the fuel line between the #6 carb bowl and the electric pump pinched it idles at 1100 rpm and burns 1.9 gph.

For some reason there is fuel blowing through the motor and I can't seem to track it down. It might just be a carb rebuild or stuck on cold start.

Any thoughts?

Comment

Check for ruptured diaphrams in fuel pumps.
          Regards
          Boats.net
          Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

stuck or leaking needle? cracked float? try pumping fuel directly into that carb, and see if it flows into the throat, or out of a vent like the needle isn't sealing off.

Comment

Thanks

I finally figured it out! One of the fuel solenoids had 2 washers on it!

Now I just need to adjust all the carbs and linkage.
              Last edited by Salty Dog; 06-03-2008, 08:18 PM.

Comment

My manual doesn't say how many turns to set the idle mix screws.

Anyone have that info?

91 250 250TXRP

Comment

don't want to step on this thread, but can someone tell me where i can get a winky blinky for my F115? i am going to eventually get YDS, just don't want to dish out the 350 right now...thanks
                  Century 1800 Yamaha F115
                  Malibu Response LX

Comment

Originally posted by Salty Dog View Post
                    My manual doesn't say how many turns to set the idle mix screws.

Anyone have that info?

91 250 250TXRP
                    1990-92 is 3/4 turns.

jxg
                    The winky blinky wont work on the 4 stroke engines.
                    Regards
                    Boats.net
                    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

thanks boat.net. I guess I misread the SELOC manual, because i thought one of the "cartoon" pictures show it hooked to an f115. so i guess its off to the shopping cart for the YDS.

thanks again, john
                      Century 1800 Yamaha F115
                      Malibu Response LX

Comment

Working...
                      X