Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What gauges to an outboarder from early 90's

Hi there Yamaha-Lovers!
    Looking for gauges to my Yamaha 80hp early 90's. I had a LCD tachmeter with oil and trim (see attached image) but its broken and long gone now. What do i need to replace this? I was looking at the analog trim- and tachmeter from Yamaha PRO Series II (6Y7-83540-90-00 + 6Y7-83670-50-00). Will these work for my engine or should i look for another LCD tachmeter?

There is no harness in the boat either. All i have is a 703-con*****er with some loose ends - 1 pink (red?), 1 yellow, 1 black and 1 green. The 703-con*****er is connected to engine with 10p-harness. What should i order to get everythin up and running?!

Thanks for a great site! =)
    // Petsson
    Attached Files

Multifunction gauge and harness are no longer available for engines 1993 and older. You can use an analog tach without oil lights.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Hi and thanks for your reply. But the oil-lights worked on earlier LCD-tach, why cant i get them to work on newer? So i have to buy analog without oil or get an used/older on ebay?!?

How about the harness? Will any of the four ends at the control-box connect to oil, tach or trim? Or do i need an new wire all the way to engine?

// Petsson

Comment

That gauge is not available, the new gauges use a different harness that will not connect to your engine(connectors are different). The wires in control will power gauges and give tach signal but the oil lights and trim gauges use the harness that goes to engine.
        Regards
        Boats.net
        Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

SO, there is no way for me to get oil-indicators for my engine? And the trim-meter wont work either?
          I have 3p for trim at engine and then some (green/red etc.) that i thougt would go to oil - i cant use these?

Regards
          Petsson

Comment

Maybe tach adapter 6Y5-85335-10-00

I am in the process determining if this will work for my own use

Maybe it will work for you

it converts the new style single connector tach to a two connector, like older tach, with one connector for 2stroke oil tank level (green, green/red) and the other connector should be for temp and trim, has gray, pink & black.

Comment

That is exactly what i have from my engine - green, green/red, grey, pink and black. How would this work? What gauges could be connected with this adapter you are talking about?

Regards
              Petsson

Comment

That adapter is for installing 1994-2004 gauges on a 2005 or newer motor.
                Regards
                Boats.net
                Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

according to yamaha....

6Y5-85335-00 is for adapting a newer engine to an older gauge, it has two conenctors at the gauge and two conenctors to the engine

6Y5-85335-10 is for adapting a older engine to an newer gauge, it has one conenctor at the gauge and two conenctors to the engine

Comment

Boats.net, i understand that multifunction gauge wont work due to compatability-problems with harness and connections and that those adapters wont solve anything. How am i supposed to get info about oil and overheating then?! :S Is it just the multifunction that doesnt work, is there standalone gauges for heating and/or oil?!

Thanks for all your answers!
                    // Petsson

Comment

You can cut off the connectors on harness coming from engine and off of tach. Splice the wires togather, however sometimes the wire colors will be different and it takes some doing to track down each wire to determine which to use.
                      Regards
                      Boats.net
                      Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Ah, ok, great! Thanks... was almost giving up there!
                        So if i will make the harness myself is there a limit of what gauges i can use on my older Yamaha? Will even the digital multifunction work then?!

THANKS
                        // Petsson

Comment

Petsson,

I have seen those gauges used from time to time on ebay if the above does not work out. Good Luck

Comment

Working...
                          X