Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High End Power Loss / Rough Idle

Hello,

I have twin 200hp HPDI's and I am usually VERY happy with them. This weekend I took a trip about 80 miles away and back, totalling about 180 miles roundtrip. So long as I kept the RPM's under 4500 I had no problems. When I went to full throttle, I am only getting about 5000 RPM on the port engine, and with the decreased power on the port engine I could only get about 5300 RPM's on the starboard, while usually the 2 engines will top out at 5700 RPM when they are running right. Beside having a top end issue, a couple times the port engine would intemittnely droped in power. It was like it went into safe mode, dropped the RPM's and then went out. I had no warning lights / sounds nor the check engine light, no warning ever. I also have a VERY ROUGH idle on the port engine.

Since I had to make the trip back 60 miles I kept the RPM's to about 4000 / 4500 without any problems at all.

Before the 200 mile trip I cleaned the inline fuel filter / water seperator, the engine fuel / water seperator, and drained the vapor seperator in the engine. I have also run about 250 gallons of fuel with a fuel injector cleaner hoping it might help.

What can it be?

Thanks! Looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

It could be as simple as fouled spark plugs. There could be trash in vapor separator tank plugging up fuel filter on elect fuel pump.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Repairs

I recently added a fuel management syatem that put a large loop in the fuel line, likly a good place for a an air buble to hide and restrict the flow, so I changed that. I also changed the plugs and on the trailer the engine idles smoother. I will be wtaer tasting friday but I think I have it resolved.

Comment

Water Test

So I water tested the boat yesterday and the problem is far worse! It lost power and overheated. I made it home but I am very disapointed.

What coule the power loss issue be?

Why would this cause overheating?

Comment

Check compression, test fuel system and replace water pump, thermostats and pressure control valve.
          Regards
          Boats.net
          Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Working...
          X