115 tlrx leaning out?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 115 tlrx leaning out?

Hello. New to this forum, and in dire need of a tune. I have a 2 stroke '99 Yamaha 115hp TLRX. When I was going off shore last week I had a bog down issue. Cruising at 4000rpm and about 26 mph the engine starts to "back off" the throttle. I am holding the control lever and believe me, it is not moving. The engine will bog down, really slow the boat down. When it got to 11 mph I jammed the throttle, it took forever to get on plane, but it got there. When it happened a 2nd time, I put it in nuetral and reved it a few times. I think it cleared because it ran fine for the next mile to the reef. On the way home it didn't happen again. At the boat ramp however, it idled very very rough. Pushing the key in for "choke" smoothed it out, if only for a few seconds. I have fresh spark plugs, the correct ones. Fresh water separator, primer bulb and impeller. The primer bulb was in sorry shape, squirted me in the eye, OUCH.
    How, exactly, do I sync the carbs? I am familiar with single piston, single carb 2 stroke engines. Having 4 carbs for 4 cylinders is really new to me. There doesn't seem to be an idle needle on the carbs. The manual says "screw, air adjust." Do I use the throttle linkage to adjust idle speed?
    Is the fuel pump assembly worth replacing? Perhaps the prop is slipping? Or I have debris blocking something some where, carb jet or a screen?
    Thank you!

It sounds like the carbs need to be removed and cleaned.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Is there a procedure to go about cleaning the carbs? I do not have the service manual. Should a "carb kit" be ordered if I do this? Would the gaskets be any good after taking everything apart? If any one has a manual could it be emailed to me? Not the entire manual, just the carb removal and re install instructions.
      if so...freemachinist@cfl.rr.com
      Thanks

Comment

Carbs have been removed and cleaned. Not as complicated as I thought. Runs great at WOT. runs very rough at idle, very rough. Pushing the key choke gives it the gas it needs. The "needles" on the carb is not a fuel inlet is it? They are the air mixture? Less air = more gas? Ever since I turned the "needle" (counter clockwise) she has run a bit poorly at idle. I'll turn them back...?

Comment

If choking it keeps it running then the low speed jets in bowl of carbs are still plugged up.
          Regards
          Boats.net
          Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Working...
          X