Varying RPM's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Varying RPM's

I have a 99 200hp saltwater series. It has a carb. I just got it running agian for the season and it started acting funny. The RPM's go up and down when I set the throttle around 3300 RPM. It will vary from 2800 to 3800 RPM without moving the throttle. It idles fine and rins fine around 1800 RPM. A fee times it even shot up over 5000 RPM when I had it set at 3300 RPM. I had to pull back the throttle to prevent it from going to high. When I winterized it at the end of last year it was running fine. I even ran fresh gas through the engine and the problem still showed uo. Thanks

im having similar problems i have warranty on my ox 66 225 salt series it happens in a heavy sea form 2300 to 3200 the one motor jumps all over the place i took it in for warranty and they say nothin is wrong see they already were paid when i bought the warranty and they forget that it may be your throttle position sensore or watter in the vst good luck let me know if ya figure it out thanks

Comment

Thanks for the input, however I do not think it is a throttle problem. I run the engine at my dock with the cover off and the throttle cable is not moving at all. I am thinking maybe a fuel pump problem. Does anyo else have any insights? Thanks

Comment

i'd bet your throttle cable is bad/hanging up like the crappy merc throttles do....ie you have to hammer the throttles then pull back after they rev.

if you have a bad lp pump, it will dump extra fuel into crankcase, causing a very rich situation, wet plugs and fuel in water, not a high rev.

you need to have an extra person on board, run in open flat water with cowl off and watch at the suspect rpms.

Comment

I tried running the engine with the cover off and watched the throttle cables. The cabels are not moving at all but the engine rpm's are still varying up and down. The levers that control the carbs are not moving at all while the problem is occurring. Any other suggestions???? Thanks

Comment

Working...
          X