HELP!! buzzing noise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP!! buzzing noise

i just bought my first bass boat from my cousin. i was out with my friend for like 5 hrs last sat morning. the boat went great most of the day until we were about ready to head in. the motor is a 1993 Yamaha Pro-V 150hp and the boat an 1988 bass tracker. as we went to drop the hammer and head home the motor seemed really slugish and wouldn't plain out. after about 30 sec or so of this a buzzing noise from behind the ignition switch went off. we slowed the boat down and stopped turn the key off and the noise stopped. when we turned it back on the noise continued. i noticed the lights on the dash that show i'm assuming oil level where blinking. i'm not sure if this is on all bass boats or not but under the RPM gauge there is a green dot, a picture of and oil can in yellow, and a red dot. the yellow and red dot had an arrow above them that was blinking. niether one of us knew what to do. so we used the trim on the throttle to lift the motor up to see if maybe there was a problem there. as we where using the trim the noise stopped. we proceeded to shore having to trim the motor up a little at a time as the noise would come and go. we both think the oil level must have been low but i would like to hear some good advise from other people out there. please HELP with any info!!!

Thanks

The three lights in tach are oil level indicators, the overheat light is on left side of tach on newer tachs and in the speedometer on older ones. The yellow oil light indicates tank in boat is low on oil, when this light activates the oil transfer pump in boat tank will not pump any more oil to engine tank, when oil level in engine tank gets to lower line the red light activates and buzzer sounds and engine will go into rpm reduction. When yellow comes on you need to add oil, if you don't have oil then you can shut engine off turn ignition back on and activate toggle switch next to engine oil tank to refill engine tank. Since you may have run engine completely out of oil probably need to check compression.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

thanks so much!! i checked the reserve tank of oil when the buzzer went on and it had a little oil in the tank so i'm not sure i drained it completely but i will check the compression.

is there a specific type of oil i should be looking for other than just a marine outboard motor oil?

Comment

The oil needs to be TCW-3 certified.
        Regards
        Boats.net
        Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

My Yamaha Strated Buzzing Too

I have a 2005 - 150 HP, 2 cycle, carbureted Yamaha Outboard and had the alarm (buzzing) went off this weekend also. After a day of boating, I was flushing the engine with the “Mickey Mouse Ears” and after about 10 minutes of running the alarm sounded. I immediately checked to see if water was pumping and found nothing unusual. I shut the engine off. Turning the key to the on position, without starting the engine, produced the alarm again. I checked the boat oil tank and it was ¾ full. The fuel gauge was registering as low as I have ever seen it. I towed it up to the fuel pump and prepared to fuel up. I turned the key to the on position and no alarm sounded. I proceeded to add fuel. Towed the boat back home and ran it again, with the “Mickey Mouse Ears”, for about 15 minutes. No alarm sounded. Is there any chance that the alarm was a result of low fuel as opposed to overheating or low 2 cycle oil? If not what would be some trouble shooting tips to determine the cause of the alarm?

Comment

I had a similar problem on the mouse ears. I don't think there was enough pressure at the hose to cool the motor. So I took the ears off and put her in the water. The alarm sounded for a second then stopped, and no problem since. Check water pressure at your garden hose.

Comment

Working...
            X