Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fuel/air adjust on 2hp

Hi,

I've got a 2MSHY (2000 2hp 2 stroke) that has been used only a handful of times.

Each time I've had it out it runs ok for an hour... but the plugs foul and black comes out the exhaust, it sputters, then quits. Sometimes it starts back up, after a few hours of this, it won't start anymore. Change the plugs and it goes for a while again...

I'm asuming it's running too rich judging by the black on the plugs, but I can only find 2 setting screws. 1 for the friction of the tiller, and the other for the idle setting (set the height of the plunger on the throttle.

Where can I adjust the air/fuel mix to make it run leaner? Anybody know? The part listing for a 2MSHX (only have up to 1999 it seems) shows the #24 as the pilot adjust (adjusts idle) and part #23 (the spring under the screw) as the spring air ajust. So how is it done then?

Hoping someone knows.

Hi JIT,

Thanks for the answer. Had the cover off and am looking, but not seeing any brass plug (unless you mean the drain for the float chamber!)

Only adjustmenst I see is the friction for the slider (throttle) and the idle setting which raises the throttle (#24 and has spring #23).

Which part # is it in the assembly?

http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Ya...OR/parts.html#

Can it be set or can I just clean it and hope for the best? (opening trout season depends on it!)

Comment

No kidding... I though that only brought up the idle.... when it is all the way in the revs go right up.... learn somethin' new very day!

Makes some sense now you mention it... I found it idled a bit high the first time I tried it, so my buddy fiddled with the "idle screw" and set it as low as it would go.. (FULLY RICH!) Worked ok for a bit... (used it for a 3 day fishing trip). The next year it was nothing but problems.

What is the normal setting? (how many turns from fully seated?)

I recall the plugs being wet at one point... Taking the plug out and having a bunch of gas in there....

I got new plugs from the dealer, and although the manual says B5HS, the sticker inside the cowling says "BR5HS" they gave me B5HS... wondering if I got non-resisant ones, and I'm getting some spark issues. I heard the CDI ignition has issues with non-resistor plugs.

Great info from you by the way. Thanks a lot.
      Last edited by 2MSHY; 04-29-2008, 01:58 PM.

Comment

Says:

6A1 S 192175 T

192175 is stickered on the engine as well.

Comment

ok good to know.
          You think there would be much difference using one or the other? I have a few B5HS still. Though about hunting around for some BR5HS.

Comment

Roger that....

You know the default setting of the rich/lean screw? Wanted to start from there.

It "runs" on basically any setting. Normally I'd set it by turning it out until it started to choke and then come back to a smooth idle... but this one putts along fine no matter what you do... just the idle drops at the lowest setting with the screw fully out, and raises high fully in....

Comment

Okay anyone know why the other half of this exchange is missing? I am having this exact problem, so I searched before posting and found this. Any suggestions anyone?

Comment

Working...
              X