Water leakage from oil drain plug area

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water leakage from oil drain plug area

My 1995, 9.9 Four Stroke was recently serviced. When I put it back on the boat, I noticed water leaking from the area around the oil drain plug. There is no oil leakage and the water is cooling water (tasted salty).

I asked my mechanic about it and he said:

"That picture you sent and circled is of your rear exhaust chamber. Its an exhaust chamber that has both dry and wet exhaust. That is completely normal sir. There is nothing wrong with your gaskets, water pump, housing, heads, power head...nuttin'.Everything is great on the baby engine!
    I thought it was in another area when you first explained to me...the water exhaust and the dry exhaust are supposed to run out like that...
    everything is A-ok......"

Here is the image I sent:

One can see the water leakage on the on flat face of the housing unit, just below where the oil drain plug is located.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Is my mechanic right (I have no reason not to trust him) or should I have him investigate this issue. Appreciate any thoughts you might have.

Thanks
    Brian D

If it's coming out of exhaust relief holes then that is normal and it's ok.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Thanks. That is the second time I have heard of exhaust relief holes. I have never seen them. Might have to stick a mirror there to inspect.

Comment

Working...
      X