Oil Level Guage Assembly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil Level Guage Assembly

The title part is the sensor that is in the oil tank that is on the engine. Does anyone know how to check one of these to see if it is bad or good.

My problem isthat the system will not pump oil automatically from the large tank in the boat to the small tank on the engine. The oil indicator has three bars, the left one is on solid, the center one flashes and the right one does not indicate.

Anyone have a wiring diagraphm for the switch?

Can you tell us what the model number of your motor is?
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

130 TLRY, The Part number for the sensor is 6G7-85730-04-00

Comment

The center bar on tach flashing is signaling remote oil tank(oil tank in boat) is below 1/3 full (Check oil tank if low add oil, if full test oil sensor on remote oil tank) and oil pump will not transfer oil to engine oil tank. When oil level in engine oil tank reaches the lower line on tank the left bar in tach will come on steady, buzzer will sound and engine will go into rpm reduction. You can test oil pump and wiring by removing cowling and with ignition key in on position turn toggle switch next to engine oil on and oil pump should run to refill engine tank. It sounds like your problem is with the remote oil tank, you can test remote oil level sensor with an ohm meter connected to black/red wire and black wire, with float in up position(oil tank full) you should have continuity, float in down position(low oil) should have no continuity. On the 2000 model motors the engine does have to running for oil transfer pump to operate. Let us know about remote tank oil level and if oil transfer with emergency toggle switch.
        Regards
        Boats.net
        Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Oil pump works when I hold the toggle switch up. I will check the remote tank sensor and let you know.

Thanks much for the help.

Comment

Well I did what you recommended and pulled the remote oil tank probe. in the down position it reads 2+ Meg ohms, in the up position it reads O ohms. I think that that is probably a good indication.

then I pulledthe onboasrd tank probe and in the full up position the indication on digital tach center bar flashes left bar is solid, right bar is not displayed.

jTurned power off and on and momentarily all three bars come on and go off.

With probe out I moved the float from full up slowly down nothing happens until it gets to the botton and then the center bar goes out, the left bar starts to flash and the warning buzzer comes on.

Pump works with toggle switch.

Still need help.

Comment

The engine tank sensor has three switches in it.
              Float in down position(warning system activated) blue/red wire and black wire should have continuity, raise float to half(no warning activation) and should have no continuity.
              Float in middle(turns transfer pump on) blue/green wire and black wire should have continuity, move float up and should not have continuity.
              float in top position(transfer pump off) blue/white wire and black wire should have continuity, move float down and should not have continuity.
              Regards
              Boats.net
              Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Thanks for all the help.

As it turns out the problem was a broken wire at the pin on the remote oil tank.

Again thanks for all the help.

Comment

Working...
                X