1996 Yamaha 15hp giving me fits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1996 Yamaha 15hp giving me fits

I got a boat last year with a 15hp Yamaha on it, the guy had just had a water pump impeller and carb kit put in it. It has always started first pull and given me NO problems. I have put about 6 hours on it since owning it.

The last time I took it out it, about 30 secs into the ride it sounded like I was throttling back on it, but it was still at WOT. RPM's slowly dropped over a period of 20secs until it just finally died, being held at WOT the whole time. I couldnt get it restarted so we used the ***** motor to get back. Here is what I have done/checked to try to figure this out:

Definitely getting spark, very bright blue.
    Fuel system COMPLETELY replaced including tank, lines, primer bulb, fittings, fuel filter, fuel pump diaphrams.
    Carb disassembled/cleaned, another carb kit installed.
    Plugs checked, they looked good but put new ones in.
    Reeds checked, worked fine but put new Boyesen Reeds in.
    Compression checked, right at factory specs.

I thought I had found the problem with a cracked fitting that was allowing air to get into the fuel system, but that wasnt it. Grrrrr....

At this point Im guessing it has either jumped time/synchronization *or* there is some sort of exhaust restriction. It doesnt seem to be drawing any fuel into the cylinders, but I cant really tell. The spark is good but if it isnt firing at the right time, good spark wont help.

When you try to start it with the prop dunked in water, shouldnt bubbles come out the exhaust outlet? It also doesnt really help when you spray fuel in the carb(leaving choke open and throttle open so fuel get thru the carb), which leads me to think exhaust restriction/jumped timing.

At this point I think it would make GREAT target practice...

P.S. Thanks for the great parts service and prices, I've bought all the above mentioned parts from you guys!

Well its not an exhaust issue. Even thought it doesnt bubble when dunked in water, you can feel air coming out when trying to start it.

Comment

Well not sure if it has fire, fuel and compression it should at least try to run. The compression should be at least 90 lbs and even. Do you see gas on top water when tring to start it may be flooding or loss of fire.
      Regards
      Boats.net
      Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Compression is 110psi in both cylinders. Is it possible for it to jump time?

Comment

Not unless it has a sheared flywheel key.
          Regards
          Boats.net
          Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Is that common or have you ever heard of it happening? A buddy of mine said it happened to an older motor he had. Thanks!

Comment

It's not common but can happen.
              Regards
              Boats.net
              Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

After more troubleshooting I realized it is not getting fuel and it doesnt open the the reeds when you try to start it. It appears I have some sort of leak in the crank case, whether it be crank seals or the labyrinth? seal. It has compression, but it seems to be drawing air in from somewhere other than the carbuerator.

Comment

The carb trick would only work if it was the top or bottom crank seal. Come to find out it was the the labyrinth seal thats completely toast, so I'm assuming it was drawing air between cylinders. How nice it was for the guys in the SELOC manual to say, "this seal doesnt normally need replacing", so they dont go into any detail on fixing it. Looks like the crank will have to be disassembled for that.

Comment

Yes the crank would have to split to replace center seal and it's hard to locate machine shops that can repair pressed cranks.
                    Regards
                    Boats.net
                    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

It looks like I'll be ordering a complete crank assembly to replace a $9 seal. Bravo, Yamaha engineers!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X