Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 03 250 Hpdi

hello all, new to the forum
    Ive got a 250 HPDI that wont turn up but 4600RPM's and skips around i.e. 44-45-46-45-44. I just had the oil pump recall done along with all fuel filters. I ran over the weekend and no change...
    The plugs are 100hours old and need to be changed, but will new plugs do it??
    I lost 1000RPM's the boat used to turn 5600.

New plugs may do the trick, if not may have to have it checked with computer diagnostic.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

what pitch prop are you running?

Comment

Ill check on the prop pitch.
        I changed all fuel filters & Plugs and the boat runs great.
        Can anyone tell me if my 3.3 250HPDI can be changed/ new programing+-injectors into a 300HP???

Comment

SamN, I don't mean to hijack your thread but since it involves an '03 250HPDI, I would like to ask a couple of questions. I, also, have an '03 250HPDI (it runs great and pulls hard) and have read on another site that there were some serious problems with the power heads burning holes in pistons, especially in #1 piston. This problem involved the big block HPDI's especially the '03 250HPDI. Did Yamaha ever find out what caused this problem? (eg lean burning or lack of oil) Is this problem the cause of the recall service bulletin on the oil pump on these motors and ,if so, will having this replacement done, correct any future problems. I have 175 hrs on mine and when I had the oil pump service performed, the mechanic said the computer readout said everything was fine (no warnings or errors etc ). Has anyone on this site had any of the problems described above?

Thanks
          Paul
          Last edited by cobra427; 12-06-2007, 01:45 AM.

Comment

I think that this motor did have problems in the beginning. I was uneasy at first wondering when it was going to blow. I thing some of the bad engine's were not set up right from the beginning. I run my 24' boat pretty hard, the only problem has been fouling plugs. The recall that I just had done was for the oil pump over oiling...did'nt make sense to me given the problems with a lack of oil as you said on #1.
            I dont run offshore, stay in the Cheaspeake Bay, keep my SeaTow current and run it. 150Hours

Comment

SamN and Cobra427 and everyone with a 200-300 HPDI

Yes Yamaha does have an update to resolve the piston failure problem, it's an oil pump replacement. You should have gotten a letter from Yamaha if yours needs the update(if the motor is warranty registered to you). Contact your local dealer(or send me serial number and I will check it for you) and give them the serial number of your motor to see if needs update. There is no charge for update even if warranty has expired.
              Regards
              Boats.net
              Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Thanks Boat.net for the information. It is comforting to know something has been done about the problem. I had the update done in September so I can rest easy. Thanks again

Paul

Comment

Working...
                X