90 H.P.slow to pickup speed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 90 H.P.slow to pickup speed

I have a 1984 yamaha 90 hp outboard, it starts and runs fine with one exception, you can give it throttle while idling and it takes a while to get up to speed, it idles fine, runs out fine at top speeds but it is the in-between throttling up that I am having problems with, it acts to me like a car with a bad spark advance. Does this engine have something like a spark advance and if so where is it located and is it ajustable? Any help would be greatly appreciated...Thanks...Ken

The 1984 does have a mechanical timing advance. Check lingage for smooth operation.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

90 HP slow to pickup speed

Thanks for the reply, I'll give it a try. I just purchased this boat and tried it out the first time and discovered this problem, but someone also told me it could be the wrong size prop, I think it is a 19 pitch on it now, does that sound right to you and if not what size prop should I be running? Oh yes the boat is a 1986 Procraft 1650 Bass Boat. Thanks....Ken

Comment

any ideas on prop size???

Comment

You need to prop it so it runs wide open between 4500 and 5500 rpm's. If it's running too low in rpm's then drop to a smaller pitch prop, too high go larger pitch.
          Regards
          Boats.net
          Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Working...
          X