2006 70 hp cold starting problems.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2006 70 hp cold starting problems.

I have a new 2006 70 hp with remote. I have trouble starting this motor the first time out each day. On my old (87) I would push in on the key which activated the choke and the engine would start. This new engine, I have to remove the cowel and flip the emergency starter valve for the engine to start. A real pain... am I missing something??

SD

Trimming motor down all the way, pumping up fuel primer bulb and start up at idle is the normal starting procedure. Don't give it any throttle while starting, after it starts you can throttle.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

I've done all that. I usually try 5-6 times than have to remove the cowel.
      I'll try again. I may have tryed starting it by lifting the throd. advance lever on the remote.
      Would that have affected the starting??

Comment

Then need to have prime start system tested to see if working properly.
        Regards
        Boats.net
        Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

you wouldn't happen to know the testing procedure for that would you?

Comment

If you had the throttle lever flipped up, the choke system doesn't work. Pushing in the key doesn't do anything b/c the choke Auto-Prime system is all computer controled. It works great once you figure it out.

Good luck with it.

Comment

Well, I took the boat out today and didn't do anything but pump up the ball. Turned the key ( took 2 try's) but it started. I'm so used to having to choke the heck out of everything I just couldn't help my self.
              I appreciate all the help, I think Yamaha could have explained a bit clearer in the owners manual.

thanks again!

Comment

Working...
              X