Oil & temp level warning activated

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil & temp level warning activated

I have a 50TLR 2-stroke with a 704 control. I just installed a new Yamaha tach & trim gauge with Yamaha harnesses. The gauges work fine but my warning buzzer activates when I turn the key to on, after the engine starts the buzzer goes off. Also I noticed the oil & temp warning lights to not come on. Before I installed the new gauges the buzzer did not activate with key on. Should my warning lights and buzzer warning system work togeather? Need some help...thanks

You may have the Trim/oil harness installed wrong. I sent you a email a guide. If it's a 2004 or older check the 2 four prong connectors at engine, they should be connected to harness going to gauges and not connected to each other.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Thanks for the info...just to add a bit more info. The motor is a 2007 it has one open 4 wire plug which I ran to the helm with a yamaha harness. This plugged into the 6y7 tach directly and the pink wire pluged inot the 6y7 trim gauge. All other wires plugged into the Yamaha 6y583553-NO dual fuse harness. As metioned gauges work great the concern is start up warning buzzer activates and I have no Tach warning lamps. Any help is appreciated

Comment

Ok. Turn key on and disconnect the 4 prong connector at engine to see if buzzer goes off. If it does then may be a problem with connecting the 6Y7 gauges on the 07 engines. Let me results and I will check into it.
        Regards
        Boats.net
        Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

I have this same problem with my 2007 50TLR & 703 control.
          Installed Yamaha Tach w/ oil warning lights, used Yamaha harness and warning buzzer comes on and stays on. Posted here a couple of times about this problem, never got an answer to fix problem.
          I would rather be fishing.

Comment

Thanks for your help! I turned the key to the on position buzzer came on. I disconnected the 4 wire prong connector at the engine and the buzzer went off.
            The 4 wire prong connector has the following colors: pink, grey, green & green/red. The colors do match across the engine 4 wire prong to the harness prong. At the helm end the harness plugs directly into the 6Y7 tach as mention earlier.
            I read through the installation guide you sent and it does not match, it has a dual prong plug coming from the engine, also noted my 6Y7 tach does not have any dip switches.
            If you need any more information please let me know and thanks again for your help.

Comment

I will pull a gauge and harness and install it on a motor and let you know what to do to resolve it. I assume you have 6Y7-83540-80-00 or 6Y7-83540-90-00 gauge and 6Y5-83653-00-00 or -10-00 wire harness.
              Regards
              Boats.net
              Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

I installed a 6Y7-83540-90-00 white face tach, 6Y7-83670-50-00 white face trim gauge, 6Y5-83653-00-00 Trim/Oil harness(single 4 prong connector on each end) and a 703-48207-17-10 side mount control box to a 50TLR with a manufacture date of 03/06.
                Connected gauge harness to 703 control box. Green wire to green, yellow to yellow and black to black.
                Connected Trim/Oil harness to 4 prong connector on engine and to connector on tach.
                Connected gauge harnes to tach. Yellow tach wire to yellow wire on harness, green to green, black to black, blue to blue, pink/red stripe wire to pink on trim gauge and yellow wire with red stripe to yellow wire on harness.
                Connected blue,black and yellow wire on trim gauge to gauge harness.
                When I turned key on with empty oil tank buzzer sounds and oil light on tach lights up. Added oil and all went to normal, no lights or buzzer tach and trim gauge worked. The warning lights will not light up when turn key on only when oil level is low or when temp sensor activates warning.
                The only thing I noticed is the yellow wire with red stripe on tach has to be connected to yellow wire on gauge harness, if connected to any other wire the buzzer will sound.
                If your gauge part numbers or Trim/Oil harness are different than what I used let me know.
                Regards
                Boats.net
                Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

I to installed a 6Y7-83540-90-00 white face tach, 6Y7-83670-50-00 white face trim gauge, Trim/Oil harness not sure of the part number wires are pink, grey, green & green/red and match across the engine prong (single 4 prong connector on each end) and a 704 remote control box (installed with the new boat) to a 50TLR with a manufacture date of 06/06.
                  Connected gauge harness to 704 control box. Green wire to green, yellow to yellow and black to black (red I left un-plugged)
                  Connected Trim/Oil harness to 4 prong connector on engine and to connector on tach.
                  Connected gauge harnes to tach. Yellow tach wire to yellow wire on harness, green to green, black to black, blue to blue, pink/red stripe wire to pink on trim gauge and yellow wire with red stripe to yellow wire on harness. (same as yellow wire from tach & trim)
                  Connected blue,black and yellow wire on trim gauge to gauge harness.

Maybe my tach harness is wrong, (Please check your wire colors)
                  I think the next step is to see if the oil light comes on if I pull the sender out of the oil tank. Thanks for your continued help, maybe we are getting closer.

Comment

I forgot to mention that my harness under the helm to connect the trim & tach is a 6Y5-83553-NO-00 Dual Fuse. The only part number I do not have is the tach harness from the engine to the tach.
                    I think the tach only displays low oil...the owner manual shows green, yellow & red lights depending on the oil tank level. Maybe we have some owner manual confusion also. I'm trying... Thanks

Comment

Your wire colors on Trim/Oil harness are correct. The grey wire is temp indicator lead, pink wire is trim sensor lead, green wire is full oil level indicator lead and green/red wire is low oil indicator lead. I too forgot to mention the part number for gauge harness but that is the correct one and the red wire is not needed for this gauge setup. The 6Y7 gauges are not listed in owners manual and it does only display low oil indicator. On the engine the 2 strokes use a adapter harness for the 4 prong connector, the oil level sensor and trim sensor connects to this adapter and converts the oil wires and trim wires to the 4 prong connector which will have the same wire colors as trim/oil harness. Make sure those are correct. Other than that I would suggest disconnecting wires(one at atime) at gauges to see if buzzer goes off.
                      Regards
                      Boats.net
                      Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Thank you

Thank you for the information and help. I must not be that far away, so this week I will take all of your notes and go down to the boat and go thru my connections at the motor and helm.
                        On another front, I also found a good place to purchase my next parts with great service. Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by boats.net View Post
                          On the engine the 2 strokes use a adapter harness for the 4 prong connector, the oil level sensor and trim sensor connects to this adapter and converts the oil wires and trim wires to the 4 prong connector which will have the same wire colors as trim/oil harness.
                          I don't intend to hijack this thread, but I am curious about this adapter mentioned here. My engine does not have this adapter, that may be causing my problem?

Comment

Cardrken,

The adaptor harness is factory installed in the newer engine. If you pull out the engine harness were your trim and oil harness plugs in you will find two other prong plugs each having two wires one for oil sensor and the other for trim. These two prong plugs will convert (adpapt) to one which is for the oil and trim harness. Boat.net wanted me to make sure the plugs were connected correctly. Hope this helps.

Comment

Richard,
                              Thanks for the reply. It had been so long since I first worked on all this I had forgotten what the wiring looked like. I kind of lost interest in the oil light function of the tach until I read your post about a problem that sounded like mine. OK, I have been working on mine again and discovered something today, I connected the four terminal connector at the engine to the oil/trim harness and switched key on, like before no oil lights & warning buzzer sounds. I then disconnected the two wire connector to the oil level sensor and buzzer stops and oil light comes on. I then ran trim up and oil light dims, run trim down oil light gets brighter. It seems to me something is not compatible with this setup. My engine was built 06/06.

Comment

Working...
                              X