Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overheating

First off: 1991 V4 115 HP Yamaha 115TJRP

I had taken this boat out all day one day and after about 5-6 Hours of running all different speeds including 3/4 - full throttle for about 10-15 minutes and it never overheated. I had to back off to idle speed through a zone and when I could throttle back up, in about 60 sec the alarm went off. I let it sit for about 5 minutes and had to restart it to get back home which was 8-10 miles away and thunderstorms were all around. I ran it at about 3/4 throttle most of the way back and it never overheated again. About 1 week later, I had it out for 13 hours drift fishing and *****ing and running at full speed a few time. NO overheat all night. Then about 3 days later I ran it at Idle for about 5 minute and cranked her up to about 3/4 throttle and no more than 30 second and the alarm goes off . I let it sit for about 10 minutes and refired it back up. It was fine the rest of the night but I never got over 1/2 throttle. I decided it was time to change the water pump, popet valve, and thermostats since it had been a year anyways. I also flush it completely out (except the heads).
    Well after changing everything I notice the Pee-Stream is a lot weaker than before. I took it on the water and opened it up for about 3-4 minutes and BUZZZZZZ ...the alarm goes off. I have taken this thing apart 10 times now and I have no idea what the #$@#^(&$%# is going on. I fix it and it's worse??? I need some suggestion here. I wouldn't think the water jackets would have anything to do with the Pee-Stream.

When the buzzer goes off that quick it is usually something to do with water pump. Was the water pump housing in good shape(not melted or distorted), if you replaced housing did to install the water tube grommet? Recheck the pressure control valve(poppet) is installed correctly.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

The old water pump housing we took out originally was melted a little that is why we replace it. The popit was fine. There was a little crud around it but nothing major. Cleaned everything up and put new parts in. Yes, we replaced the water tube grommet. I got the pee-stream fairly strong now. I still think it's a slight bit weaker than normal. I ran it up and down the canal here for about 5 minutes at full throttle and the alarm did go off again. BUT what was weird was when I coasted back to shore (about 150 yards) in idle, I got almost to the dock and the alarm TURN BACK OFF! I had this problem with this motor about this time last year and the tech replaced everything and it did the same thing as now. He found it to be the water jackets needing cleaned out was the reason for the overheat. This time I don't have the $300-400 to pay a tech. I DO have the money to do it myself thou. I just wonder now 2 things. 1.Could this be the problem? 2. How hard is it to pull the heads and clean them?

Comment

A engine will cool down quicker at idle than shutting it off as long as you it is pumping water. Yes the water passages can get plugged up enough to cause a overheat problem and if everything else is ok then that is the next step.
        Regards
        Boats.net
        Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Working...
        X