Fuel flow intermittently working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel flow intermittently working

I have twin 1994 carb. 200 Yamahas. The fuel flow reading for the starboard motor is only intermittetnly showing flow, often reading 0.0 GPH at speed only to start working again, then quit. No problems with the port flow measurement at all. I've disconnected and re-connected sender harness and harness under console. Sender bad? Frequent problem? What do they run? Thanks for the help! Kyle

just take it apart and clean it...open it, blow thru it with gauge on...make the sensor spin and see if gauge registers.if it doesnt register, swap sensors to ensure the harness is not the problem.

Comment

Both good suggestions. I did take the suspect sender off and poured Yamaha carb cleaner into its fuel intake hole for an hour. The wheel inside does spin freely (sounds like a child's toy) when I blow into the unit, but that didn't change its behavior.

To see if swapping sender leads moved the issue to the port side reading, the easiest thing would be to just swap sender harnesses. Unfortunately the leads aren't long enough to swap between the two. I'd have to pull both senders and physically remount. Not impossible but a pain for my particular transom install.

I'm really curious to know if I can take the unit apart. Without hearing from some experts (not me!), I'm just too chicken to actually disassemble the sending unit via the phillips screws. Can the thing be taken down, cleaned, and reassembled? Thanks all.

Comment

the plugs are the same, pull them from the fuel lines and you can swap them.

i didnt have the right tool/tip so i used vice grips..just 4 machine screws and a gasket...and a wheel inside, quite simple.

have you checked it for just corrosion at the connections??

Comment

The connections look great. Yamaha rubber gaskets their harness connections, and I can't see any corrosion in either the transom connection or the one under the console. Sounds like the sending unit IS serviceable then? If so, it's time for the phillips impact bit (screws on sender are very tight... suspect it has thread sealant on it). Thanks agin. KH

Comment

because it works sometimes...i would only think theres a small piece of crud, stopping the wheel.

Comment

I agree. I was just too timid to crack the thing open only to realize I destroyed it in doing so (been there, done that), but it sounds like it goes back together AOK. I'll let you know what I find inside the sender. KH

Comment

Working...
              X