Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4 wire trim sender ???

Hi,

I have a Yam 40hp elec tilt trim circa 1990, which has a 4 wire trim sender, but no gauge currently fitted, just the four wires (black white pink and orange) left disconnected under the cowling.

Can anyone please tell me what these 4 wires are as I really want to add a trim gauge? I wondered if it was just a variable resistor/s, but the resistance across the them does not change as the arm is moved, so either its not that simple, or its broken. Unfortunatly I cant get the screws out that hold it to the bracket, so try taking it apart to see, however I am an electronics engineer, so with a bit of basic info I hope to figure the rest out. I read somewhere a mention of 5v on the orange wire, but not sure if thats *****te / relates to this sender?

Many thanks Anthony

I'm not sure, the 40hp model's we have here in the US only have three wires black, orange and pink.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Hi, model number is 40HETD, which I believe refers to the facts that its elec start, power tilt / trim, and originated 1990. Any help on this trim sender would be very greatfully appreciated! If you are only familiar with a 3 wire sender, then what are those colours?

Thanks Anthony

Comment

thanks, and what are those connections for those three wires? My 4 wire sender have the same three colours with the addition of a grey wire so there maybe some corrolation.

Thanks

Anthony

Comment

I had some notes from when I worked on my in the past. On the gauge, Blue-Light; Black-Ground-Yellow-12vt. The wires on the sending unit hook to the gauge, match the colors. If you have a meter you should get a change in the electric resistance on the sending unit.

Comment

Hi, I'll double check, but there was no apparent change in resistance across any combination of wires, hence the suspicion / rumours that it is some sort of proportional voltage system that required a 5v referance voltage on yellow wire.

Anthony

Comment

Hello . Was there any outcome reference the above i have the same problem

Comment

Originally posted by richcrad1 View Post
                Hello . Was there any outcome reference the above i have the same problem
                It is considered in poor taste to jump another mans post.

Why not start a new thread while giving us the complete model of your motor (serial number would be better) and a good description of the problem that you are having.

You obviously have a problem with your motor. Manifested in the form of a symptom or symptoms. Many different issues can result in the same symptoms. To try and use another mans solution to some similar symptoms often causes one to throw money down a rat hole.

Comment

Working...
                X