40 tlr o/b slows down wide open throttle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 40 tlr o/b slows down wide open throttle

my '96 40 hp outboard will start and run well 'till I want to go 3/4 to full throttle for a long distance. It takes off well and gets up on plane then just starts to slow down. It doesn't miss or run rough at all,just slows down.I thought it was a fuel supply problem but found no restrictions or problems with filter or lines. Tank is ok,lines replaced,pump diaphram replaced,plugs don't foul,filter replaced,still acts up. If slowed down to idle or just closing throttle for a second will go full speed for a little then start to slow down again.I was told by a guy who looked at it for me that I needed a CDI module or controler. Is he right?

It sounds like a fuel restriction, if you think fuel tank and lines are ok then clean carbs.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Carbs are clean in /out. Ch'd with fiber optic light in through carb drain plugs. No dirt or varnish seen,clean even past throttle plates. It gets up on plane well,even with a heavy load ( two overweight adults,cooler,tackle,water in livewell,etc.) and it will GO! for a couple hundred feet/yds, 'till the slow down is felt. It's very gradual. If it were starving for fuel it should start to miss wouldn't it?This thing is smooth.

Comment

use a different tank to find out.
        if you have a fuel line junction at motor, delete it as they only cause headaches.
        and next time i have fuel issues....ill supply the brews if you brang the light !

Comment

Jb 123 "delete fuel line junction"? at what point? Where the line attatches to motor? Still haven't got it out yet weather/schedule not cooperating.

Comment

Working...
          X