TLRQ 90 alarm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TLRQ 90 alarm

I have a '92 TLRQ 90 hp. that sounded the alarm at high speed and slowed the motor to 2,000 RPM It was showing a good stream before and after the alarm, and after going slowly for 5 min. the alarm stopped and still the stream was good.This boat had some very old gas, which had very low odor. Oil res was full and quality was good when I later removed. The motor started easily without choke-which does not work. How do I check choke and why the alarm?

probably an overheat issue, you rested it and it cooled. if you havent replaced waterpump, thermostats and prv valve in the last few years, you should look into it as general maintenence/insurance.

Comment

whitehawk,
      Yeah, what jb said.
      The side discharge pee-stream is just an indication that the water pump is working, but it does not tell you how much pressure it is putting out.
      Your alarm is probably going off due to an overheat condition. This could be caused by a weak water pump, a pressure control valve (aka pressure relief valve, poppit valve) that is stuck open, or a thermostat that is stuck and not opening fully or is clogged with debris.
      I would remove both the 'stat and the pcv and inspect, clean, replace if needed.
      If that does not cure the problem, then it's time for a water pump repair - should be done on average about every two years anyway.
      On the choke, I would check the wire going to the choke solenoid to see if 12v command from the choke switch is getting there. If it is and the solenoid is not pulling in the choke plates to full closed position, then bad solenoid or linkage.
      If there is no 12v at the solenoid, then switch or wiring is bad, or possibly a blown fuse.
      Good luck [img]smile.gif[/img] ,
      Ken K

Comment

Working...
      X