yamaha 90 rev limiter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• yamaha 90 rev limiter

y yamaha 90hp 1998. It runs for about ten minutes then the rev limiter comes in and it has the power loss. Is this a faulty thermo switch as the engine isn't overheating and there is plenty of oil in it?

i think you have:
    2 thermosensors
    1 main oil tank
    1 remote oil tank
    1 rpm rev limiter
    if any one is malfunctioning or max rpm is exceeded, you will go into rpm reduction.

Comment

Mike,
      Your 90 hp Yamaha has one thermo switch - item #31 in this diagram from the online catalog above:

http://www.boats.net/yamaha/partsyst...mponent=376689

You can remove the switch and test it in a pan of heated water with thermometer - should be able to measure contact closure at around 180 degrees f.
      I have personally experienced a faulty one that closed at 130 degrees, giving me a false overheat condition, alarm, and rpm reduction.
      If the thermo switch is closing, you should be getting an alarm also along with rpm reduction. Your alarm buzzer/wiring may be bad.

I believe the other item that can put your motor into rpm reduction is the oil level sensor in the main tank - item #52 at this link:

http://www.boats.net/yamaha/partsyst...mponent=388138

If this "gauge" senses oil level too low, then it sends a signal to the CDI to set off the alarm and put the motor into rpm reduction.

Hope this helps [img]smile.gif[/img] ,
      Ken K

Comment

90 yamaha jet drive

Hey Mike,
        I was aondering if it's possible to bypass the oil level sensor on my 90 horse yamaha outboard I have had the thing fixed twice and it's bad again. I always check the oil so i'm not worried about running it out of oil, so I was thinking I could fool the cdi unit into thinking it's fine by rewiring it??
        Thanks Bill

Comment

Working...
        X