yamaha f80 rectifier meltdown

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• yamaha f80 rectifier meltdown

My 2000 Yamaha F 80 rectifier shorted and got so hot it burned . brought it to local dealer and they want $2500 to fix it! It burned the charging coil wires, CDI, wires,plastic and who knows what else. Is this a common problem? I'm pretty handy, is this something I should attempt to fix myself? I priced the parts on this site and they are about $1400.I called Yamaha customer relations and they said they have had no problems with this part, it is my baby. Are they telling me the truth? Help?

ps. Are there any blown engines out there with good electronics or am better off just buying the new parts.
    The intake silencer is only melted/burned a little around the screen. I could probably seal it up and save $130 bucks. any problems doing that?

Hi funny but my f100 4 stroke did the same thing without warning burned the rectifier cdi air intake and such! Waiting for parts from Boats.net they have all the parts cheaper. checked for TSB's none for my year 2000 but strangly 01 they changed the rectifier with updates and moved the cdi unit around to the side.HMMMM.wonder what thats all about,and by the way maybe a fuse or fusable link should have popped first huh.You can fix it but you better check the stator and charging coils for correct output a/c also make sure battery up to snuff,leading cause of charging problems.I didn't replace the air intake yet do it over the winter duct tape will hold it in place until the season is over.I'm not done with Yamaha yet over this I was only operating the boat for 5 minutes at 3900 rpm when this happened.good luck anybody else have this problem?

Comment

Sorry to hear you have had the same problem. I placed another call to yamaha customer relations, waiting to hear back . maybe if there are enough of us with this same problem we can approach yamaha as a group, possibly using a lawyer. my email is avm1955@aol.com

Comment

My rectifier did the same thing, it started on fire, burned itself up, the cdi unit mounted just above it and part of the air box also burned. I have a 1999 100 hp 4 stroke it has been a flawless 500 hrs of run time till now.

smokewagon,

Comment

Working...
        X