89 200 losing power. please help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 89 200 losing power. please help

I have an 89 Yam 200 HP outboard that will not reach max rpm and loses rpms when over 4200 or 4300.

I have done the following.

replaced all fuel lines

multiple new 10 micron filters

two new fuel pumps

new plugs

replaced primer ball

rebuilt carbs

ran tank from aux tank multiple times and ran ring free and surefoam through motor(? maybe seafoam?? I forget what it was called)
    This also proves that it was not the anti-siphon valve.

The motor ran good for about 8-10 hours after the carb rebuild and I thought I had it licked but the problem showed up again.

Before the carb rebuild, it was worse. It would do it at cruise speed. Now it seems to only happen at the upper end of the RPM range. Over 42-4300.

Any other suggestions?????

BTW, I was meticulous when rebuilding the carbs, soaked, cleaned, compressed air. The whole nine.

I have also checked the drain screws and they are all spotless. (look like new)

And before re-installing the carbs, I put a brand new fuel filter on even though it didn't need one.

In most cases it is a fuel problem, there may still be something in the inlet of carb. Those carbs are dual bowl carbs with only one fuel inlet that goes across the width of carb to feed fuel to bowls and is hard to clean. I remove the carbs and disassemble, connect water hose to inlet nipple on carb and watch the water flow coming out of inlet needle seats, if it loses water flow to one inlet seat then there is something in there, which will require more soaking and compressed air to clean out.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

OK. Will do. Guess I am not getting out of taking them off again.(which I was trying to avoid)

Oh well, if that doesn't work, anyone wanna buy a low hour 89 200????

Comment

The motor ran good for about 8-10 hours after the carb rebuild and I thought I had it licked but the problem showed up again.

it will work as long as they dont clog again.

Comment

The new fuel pumps is a good thing, BUT make sure you have the proper pressure from each pump (new or not). I had a problem with my EXCEL and it was due to the fact the fuel pumps had a tiny gasket leak between the block and the pump, thus not allowing full vacume to operate the pumps.
          It is very easy to NOT make complete contact with the mating faces (pump to block)
          Just a personal experience.

Comment

Working...
          X