Reg yama gear lube or HD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gotta start learning somewhere.

My vf115la is on a 17' v-hull alumacraft.
    Specifically a Voyageur 175.

I understand what you mean about the coil analogy. I work in aircraft maintenance and I hear a lot of information that gets disseminated about a specific symptom/solution and before you know it that single case becomes a fix-all for a wide range of issues.

Asking questions is free. Buying expensive boat parts for trial and error experiments is rather pricey.

Cheers,
    Scott
    Last edited by tweakjr1; 11-24-2017, 06:58 PM.

Comment

Scott, do a little homework on the Mercury Spitefire X-7 prop, there are a couple things on line about running them on aluminum 17 footers . (I think they tested a spite fire on a 17 ranger aluminum with a 115). They make a aluminum spitefire that will not perform like the X-7 but may give you a idea how the spitefire deign performs on a boat like yours. If you can test before you buy. That isnt always possible . Good luck . Dont give up. Joe R
      Last edited by Joe Raimondo; 11-24-2017, 08:42 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the great info, Joe.

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by tweakjr1 View Post
          Gotta start learning somewhere.

My vf115la is on a 17' v-hull alumacraft.
          Specifically a Voyageur 175.

I understand what you mean about the coil analogy. I work in aircraft maintenance and I hear a lot of information that gets disseminated about a specific symptom/solution and before you know it that single case becomes a fix-all for a wide range of issues.

Asking questions is free. Buying expensive boat parts for trial and error experiments is rather pricey.

Cheers,
          Scott
          Yes, you got to start somewhere, and asking fellow boaters makes good sense.
          The most important thing in our lives, medical treatment and medicine, tends to follow the one size fits all objective. It tends only to distingish between adults and infants in most cases.

Comment

Originally posted by walleye1 View Post
            I dump Mercury HP gear lube in every thing.
            If it meets the rating, who cares? I have no problem using Mercury l/u oil in my Yamaha. If it's good enough for a 2.5 racing outboard who am I to question it!

Comment

Originally posted by pstephens46 View Post
              If it meets the rating, who cares? I have no problem using Mercury l/u oil in my Yamaha. If it's good enough for a 2.5 racing outboard who am I to question it!
              And just like you, Yamaha also does not care.

Can you imagine the hue and cry if the engine makers sold gasoline with their brands on it? We would be hearing crap about how using Suzuki gasoline in a Yamaha, or vice versa, might cause the motor to blow up.

BRP would be touting BRP branded gasoline that is specially formulated for use in a G2 Etec only. Use of any other brands of gasoline might prove to be harmful or deliver substandard performance.

Comment

Originally posted by walleye1 View Post
                I dump Mercury HP gear lube in every thing.
                I use it as well, the High Performance. I understand it will still be effective if water gets in the case.
                Also, the color, the green/blue. I find it easier too tell if water is in it when draining. Seems easier to see it if
                there is some in there, even condensation.

Another recommendation:

Change out the gaskets on the drain and vent screw every time. Do not reuse them.
                Last edited by Operaman; 11-25-2017, 08:56 PM.
                2000 Wellcraft 270 Coastal Tournament Edition
                Twin 2000 200 OX-66

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
                  And just like you, Yamaha also does not care.

Can you imagine the hue and cry if the engine makers sold gasoline with their brands on it? We would be hearing crap about how using Suzuki gasoline in a Yamaha, or vice versa, might cause the motor to blow up.

BRP would be touting BRP branded gasoline that is specially formulated for use in a G2 Etec only. Use of any other brands of gasoline might prove to be harmful or deliver substandard performance.
                  Not true about the Etec fuel. It will give anyone anywhere 25% more hp with 50% less fuel burn. Amazing. Strangely, the exhaust has a fish odor.

Comment

Originally posted by pstephens46 View Post
                    Not true about the Etec fuel. It will give anyone anywhere 25% more hp with 50% less fuel burn. Amazing. Strangely, the exhaust has a fish odor.
                    It smells like fish chum. I forgot about the fish raising benefit that the Etec offers.

The motors come with warning labels for the boat, cautioning all passengers to be seated, with seat belts fastened, for take off. The torque accelerates the boat so rapidly that if not fastened in all, of the passengers would go right over the transom.

I am trying to think of a comparable product that was so superb and so far ahead of its competitors. But then which died due to lack of demand. Beta Max tapes maybe?

Comment

Maybe a conspiracy. As in Moody diesel.

Comment

Mercury says that Mercury Premium sae 80W90 gear lube is recommended for lower units for outboards below 75 horse power. Also says Mercury Premium SAE 80W90 gear lube should not be mixed with Mercury High Performance SAE 90 gear lube .just wanted everyone to use caution and not use the Merc Premium gear lube thinking it is the same as the high performance gear lube and to mske sure you dont mix the two .
                        Last edited by Joe Raimondo; 11-26-2017, 12:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Raimondo View Post
                          Mercury says that Mercury Premium sae 80W90 gear lube is recommended for lower units for outboards below 75 horse power. Also says Mercury Premium SAE 80W90 gear lube should not be mixed with Mercury High Performance SAE 90 gear lube .
                          I've noticed the 75hp note on the bottle also. No idea why this cya exists. I have used blends from 80 to 125. Synthetic and non-synthetic. The only thing I ever noticed was the synthetic oils would turn dark after a few months. I change my lower unit oil twice a year. 8-12 bucks, it is cheap.

Comment

Working...
                          X