VST running out of gas? 2004 F200

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VST running out of gas? 2004 F200

Developed a problem my 2004 Yamaha F200. Hoping somebody can point me in the right direction. It idles fine, but will die after a few minutes. Pumping the fuel bulb will keep it going. After dying, I pulled the drain bolt at the bottom of the vst and it was completely empty. The clear fuel filter before the fuel pump that feeds the vst was full though. I'm thinking the fuel pump died, so the vst isn't being filled?

or is sucking air

Comment

There are two fuel pumps. A low pressure lift pump that feeds the VST and a high pressure pump that feeds the fuel injector rails.

Easy enough to test the lift pump. Verify that it has battery power with the key on. Ground the pump and see if it runs or not.

Comment

squeeze the primer ball to fill the vst . Verify that its by opening the drain. start it and either listen or put your hand on the pump. You will feel the pump cycle on and off. Also you will see the plastic filter cup fill. Most likely the lp pump failed.

Comment

Thanks for the help guys. It indeed was the low pressure pump, but it wasn't that it was bad, but rather it had blown the 5 amp fuse. I pulled the pump and put 12v to it like suggested and it ran just fine, so I put it back in and then had the very delayed idea to check the fuse lol.

Comment

Yamaha was really hoping that you ran out and bought a new LP fuel pump.

You could use the old one as a spare part.

Comment

Makes you think about what popped that fuse and is it going to happen again.
              corrosion/bad connection causing fuse to heat up and finally melt maybe

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
                Makes you think about what popped that fuse and is it going to happen again.
                corrosion/bad connection causing fuse to heat up and finally melt maybe
                Hopefully it was a one time fluke from the fuse degrading over 13 years. I put the spare 5 amp fuse in and ran out to fish the jetties, which was a 24 mile round trip without any issue. Now I know to check the fuses first!

Comment

I would buy a spare to have with you at all times just in case

Comment

Working...
                  X