YDS cable and software

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think it is up to 2.32.
    if you have no clue as to why the component is there and how the ECU reacts to various inputs, the laptop is a waste of time and coin.

the ECU does not know the map sensor is feeding it bogus info.
    the ECU does not know the t-stat is stuck open.
    the ECU will simply react.
    may make the motor run like a mutt and throw no codes.
    that is where the neck mounted computer takes over.

Comment

Originally posted by ttles714 View Post
      Not much different than anything else in this world ..... worthless unless you understand it ... So lets assume I learn to understand it .. any thoughts on the original question ? thanks

Like you said...no different than any other thing, just needs to be learned. If nothing else it is very interesting.

But as as RodBolt said in his own "special" way, a lot of people don't have a basic knowledge of what's going on and start throwing expensive parts at a problem. BUT that is not everyone...lots of people can look after their own stuff and this is a valuable tool in doing so.

Comment

Originally posted by panasonic View Post
        Like you said...no different than any other thing, just needs to be learned. If nothing else it is very interesting.

But as as RodBolt said in his own "special" way, a lot of people don't have a basic knowledge of what's going on and start throwing expensive parts at a problem. BUT that is not everyone...lots of people can look after their own stuff and this is a valuable tool in doing so.
        "Backyardians" can't read or learn....

They shouldn't even change their own motor oil / filter as they'll strip the threads...

Just bring it to the shop and have a PAID Yamaha professional screw up your engine for you..
        Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 11-11-2017, 07:42 PM.
        Scott
        1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Just a response about Backyardians

30 plus years ago I taught myself how to repair commercial laundry equipment .. I went from step "0" to having 5 service technicians with 5 fully stocked trucks working for me servicing over 100 accounts .. SO MUCH FOR YOUR IGNORANT COMMENT REGARDING "BACKYARDIANS" ... I guess I took offense to that.. I bought my first motorcycle as a frame and two bushels of parts... it ran very well when I assembled it .. I have a master's degree and I can read schematics, know how to find information and can read a service manual. I have learned that most people that are good technicians are not so insecure, that they are adverse to sharing their knowledge with you. I know that in order to repair ANYTHING... you first have to understand how it works ..I find it offensive that you would be pre disposed to the notion that someone cant think and understand . You may want to re-think painting your picture with such a broad brush.
          Last edited by ttles714; 11-11-2017, 07:12 PM.

Comment

30 plus years ago I taught myself how to repair commercial laundry equipment .. I went from step "0" to having 5 service technicians with 5 fully stocked trucks working for me servicing over 100 accounts .. SO MUCH FOR YOUR IGNORANT COMMENT REGARDING "BACKYARDIANS" ... I guess I took offense to that.. I bought my first motorcycle as a frame and two bushels of parts... it ran very well when I assembled it .. I have a master's degree and I can read schematics, know how to find information and can read a service manual. I have learned that most people that are good technicians are not so insecure, that they are adverse to sharing their knowledge with you. I know that in order to repair ANYTHING... you first have to understand how it works ..I find it offensive that you would be pre disposed to the notion that someone cant think and understand . You may want to re-think painting your picture with such a broad brush.
            You missed my point (being fairly new here).

I AM a "Backyardian" as is 99% of the folks here.. I don't apologize for it. I've had to repair previous work from Yamaha techs (while under warranty) as well.

The only Master Tech here OFTEN puts down "Backyardians", (which I take offense at and will call out).

I don't pretend to be NO where's as knowledgeable about Yamaha marine engines as a 30 year plus, full time marine technician.

However, I can spin a wrench, currently operate a small engine repair company with several commercial accounts (hands on training and DECADES OF wrenching on just about anything).

Never been to a mechanical school, no certifications on the wall. Been wrenching since I was 12, 59 now...

Anyone semi mechanically inclined, can learn ANYTHING...

I am with you 110% and most of the regulars here are NOT professional mechanics however are EXTREMELY KNOWLEDGEABLE and understand what's going on...

You'll see, with various posts, whom I refer to... The regulars know it too...

Scott

Comment

apology

apology .... I misinterpreted what you were saying .. glad we are on the same page ..

Comment

apology .... I misinterpreted what you were saying .. glad we are on the same page ..
                No problem.

I was being a "SA". (responding as he often does)..

I get tired of the BS, putting down everyone that's not a MT.

"You shouldn't even get a YDS" crap, etc, and everything else posted related to it from him..
                Scott

Comment

okay
                  your working on an F250txrd.
                  you have a code 62 and the motor has poor acceleration but idles well and top speed can be reached it just takes a while.
                  what do you look at?
                  what part do you buy?

Comment

I am not busting backyardigans. we all started somewhere. thanks to various places I did receive some fine technical and electronics training.
                    most folks that buy YDS are disappointed because they think it will tell them what failed, it wont.
                    I cannot tell you how many times I have stopped the sale of ign coils,ECU's and CDI assemblys.
                    at 1100 + bucks I usually wont sell it unless the customer can convince me it is bad.
                    nothing like selling an 1100 dollar part that did not fix the issue and is not returnable.
                    could the service manual be written more user friendly? most definantly but most likely wont happen.

it is an expensive set up,the Yamaha version is not for retail sales and the aftermarket version may or may not work correctly on all Yamaha applications.
                    there was a recent post about pulser coils then ign coils that devolved into a loss of a 5v ref yet no codes.
                    it is called an inrange failure yet the ECU reacts to bogus information cause it simply does not know that sensors input voltage is wrong making the output voltage wrong for the engines current running condition.

Comment

Thank you Sir

I think everyone on this site is thankful that you graciously find the time to help us out here.. You have helped me on several occasions and because of that, I was able to get back on the water without any down time in a relatively short boating season. There are "laundromat" forums that I have done the same for people .. You know the deal, Being in the service business and you seam like a good guy.. Sometimes there is just too much work and you can't get too it .. And if you can help someone out over the phone or on a forum ... well, "no good deed goes unnoticed !!!"" It's pretty obvious that you know your trade .. And I doubt that you are here just to blow your own horn.. So I assume you just want to help people with less skill and knowledge than you have acquired. Hell, !! we all "steal" something from someone as we go through life.. I have "stolen" skills as a teacher, technician, wrestling coach and official .. and just about everything else I have done.. It's how we grow and learn ... "" Give a man a fish, and he eats for a day ... Teach a man to fish and he eats for life..!!! Thank you for all your help here and I hope you continue to do so ..

Comment

RODBOLT ...IN REFERENCE TO YOUR POST ABOUT A CODE 62.... >>>>I have no Idea !!!! So that's when I call my local dealer / Mechanic and ask him if he can fit me in for a repair in the middle of July .. and if i get lucky he says I can squeeze you in but it's 2 weeks away... He's a good guy .. a very good guy.. when he can't get to me, many times he has given me a part and said try this, if it don't work bring it back... Tommy Mackie..You can't ask for better.. And At the same time I will get on this forum and hopefully you or someone else with the expertise and experience will help me out .. BUT AT LEAST I WILL BE ABLE TO TELL YOU .... HEY !! I GOT A CODE 62 ...WHAT THE HELL SHOULD I DO !!!! LOL !!! AND MAYBE ... JUST MAYBE WITH THE BLESSING OF THE GODS I WILL BE BACK IN ACTION BEFORE WINTER !!!
                        Last edited by ttles714; 11-12-2017, 09:38 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by rodbolt17 View Post
                          okay
                          your working on an F250txrd.
                          you have a code 62 and the motor has poor acceleration but idles well and top speed can be reached it just takes a while.
                          what do you look at?
                          what part do you buy?
                          You buy both fuel pumps.

Helps Yamaha sales of spare parts.

Increases the owners supply of spare parts.

Comment

why would you buy a fuel pump?

Comment

Originally posted by rodbolt17 View Post
                              many times I have stopped the sale of ign coils,ECU's and CDI assemblys.
                              at 1100 + bucks I usually wont sell it unless the customer can convince me it is bad.
                              nothing like selling an 1100 dollar part that did not fix the issue and is not returnable.
                              could the service manual be written more user friendly? most definantly but most likely wont happen.
                              It is your fault. Customer will blame you. He will never return to your shop. He will tell all of his friends and the THT crowd how you screwed him. Over on THT he will say that you told him to "pound sand" when you refused to take back the unneeded part(s).

He will then call Yamaha US and demand that they give him his money back (and repair his motor for free) because a Yamaha dealer, under the control of Yamaha, screwed him. He will declare to the world that he will never buy another Yamaha product for as long as he lives. He will tell his THT buddies that Yamaha US told him to "pound sand" when they refused to make it all right.

Been there, done that.

Comment

hahahaha. been there myself.
                                the above referenced F250 was one of them.
                                luckily the guy called me from SC and asked me about the fuel pump diagnosis.
                                the code 62 was an ECU glitch. the F250 does not monitor fuel pressure and has no fuel pressure sensor.
                                I did not know that ECU could actually display a code 62 yet it is always there and cannot be cleared.
                                the running issue was a clogged oil control valve filter and one cam stayed in a fixed location.
                                like I said if you don't understand what your looking for and why it can be misleading.

kinda like the first water pressure sensor failure I did.
                                3 other dealerships had been looking at it, I hooked up YDS and no codes at key on.
                                however I did notice that intake and baro both read 19"Hg.
                                at that altitude I am not sure where your going to find liquid water but the ECU is calibrated to run at that altitude and will react with the correct very lean A/F mix that wont work well at se*****l.
                                I found it without ever starting the motor.

Comment

Working...
                                X