fuel leak after replacing vst filter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fuel leak after replacing vst filter

2006 f150txr , replaced vst filter , bowl filter , filter above the vst and filter on the rear of the motor . I also replaced the needle and (seat ) that the needle fits into . Ran fine in the driveway , put it in the water and there was a gas slick . Brought it home and it will run for about 45 secs before it shifts off and starts to spew fuel . Fuel seams to be coming out of a vacuum sensing line that comes from a diaphragm mounted to the vst . I paid close attention to the float orientation when I reinstalled , but something has me thinking that's where the problem lies

found it. I forgot to put the hold down screw on the collar , or seat and the seat came out of the housing and was binding the needle valve . I can't do anything just once , got to be a least twice . Practice makes perfect

Comment

Did you buy a new gasket for the VST? The funky one?

Comment

At least you didn't light her a fire...so all is good.

Comment

I did buy a new gasket , now I am having a gauge problem , I can't find any connections that I didn't re connect , but the tach powers up , but won't show any running rpm , and the speedo powers up ( light comes on ) , but shows no data at all. Going to look at some schematics now . The funny thing is that both worked initially before I discovered the leak

Comment

A connector or two got disconnected, probably close by the work area...

Let the hunt begin!
            Scott
            1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

that's what I was thinking , but I've disassembled twice and can't find anything unhooked

Comment

Originally posted by gsdanno1 View Post
                that's what I was thinking , but I've disassembled twice and can't find anything unhooked
                In that case, what ever plugs you un-did, un-do them again and check to make sure there's NO PINs bent over, not fully seated.

Having a helper look at the gauges while you wiggle wires might be helpful.

Not sure about fuses, but doesn't hurt to check them...
                Scott

Comment

I should have been more specific. I disconnected , checked and reconnected all 4 connections yesterday when I disassembled. The switch connections all "clicked" securely in place . Will look again on Thursday

Comment

Any updates?
                    Scott

Comment

Found it. Several weeks ago , I had the boat rewired from bow to bilge , with the exception of the battery cables that I replaced last year. The only thing that was left alone was the Yamaha harness from the ignition switch to the gauges . I had the guy come back and look this morning , and sure enough there were several bad connections , that probably just worked themselves loose while he was in there re doing all the wiring . New harness ordered , will be installed next Saturday . The really good news is that I put it back in the water for the first time since the injectors were cleaned , all filters replaced , and it's a different boat. Smooth , and gained 500 rpm at top end ! Ill post a pic of the console wiring

Comment

What is your top end WOT with the motor now? Trimmed up...

Comment

today wasn't a good test as I was going into a strong headwind , but I got up to 5800 rpm @45mph before cavitation , so I backed off. I'm thinking 6000 and 50mph is realistic on a calm sea , as I have previously seen 47mph with this boat at only 5300rpm . Speed was on the Yamaha gauge , but I have compared that with GPS , and it's only about 1/2 to 1 mph off

Comment

Working...
                          X