HPDI Piston Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HPDI Piston Question

Anybody know what the difference is between pistons stamped 6D01 and 6D02 on the dome? Thanks

What you see on the piston dome is the prefix for a particular engine model (6D0) and then the configuration dash number of the particular piston (-00, -01, -02, etc.). Yamaha went from -01-85 pistons to -02-85 pistons beginning with 04/2005 production date motors.

The physical difference between the two piston dash numbers? I doubt that anyone on this side of the Pacific Ocean knows. Probably only a few within the Yamaha engineering department in Japan know precisely why the part was changed. Sometimes Yamaha publishes the reason for a part number change and sometimes they don't. In the case of the piston, if it was published I cannot find it.

Whatcha got going on?

The big block HPDI interests me. One of the few V6 models that does not have a knock sensor. One of the few V6 models that appears to be susceptible to detonation. Coincidence? Mostly on the port pistons by the way.

When Yamaha introduced the Series II HPDI they touted the use of "newly designed strong forged pistons". What they did not say is that the new piston (-03-84) was only used on the port side of the motor. Maybe to be a bit more resistant to detonation would be my best guess?

Comment

Very good information! Thanks. I'm replacing a single piston in a 225 HPDI and would like to install a low hours piston from another powerhead. They have the different stampings on them so I'm wondering what differences there might be. I put calipers on them and the port position, dome height, etc seems the same. Have not weighed yet to see if there might be a problem with the balance.

Comment

The pistons are all interchangeable. Later dash number would be preferred of course because it has some unknown improvement.

What model motor do you have? Which piston is the problem? If I had to guess it would be the number two. The top left hand side one.

You may know this but make sure that port side pistons are used on the port side and starboard side pistons are used on the starboard side.

Comment

Working...
        X