Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I did change the lower unit oil and greased some nipples

Comment

If there's fuel left in the tank, put stabilizer in it or when you start the engine next spring, you'll be pumping crappy fuel into the engine causing other issues...

I don't like Stabil, either Gas Shok, or K100 I've found to work very well...
      Scott
      1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Yes I put close to 3 cans of sea foam in 25 gallons of gas . And by the way the nipples had noging to do with the motor

Comment

Sea foam is a good cleaner but not a fuel stabilizer.
          Think about it, your adding alcohol to ethanol.

Comment

I'am sure it claims to stabilize fuel . I never put any gas in my outboards other than 91-92 non ethanol

Comment

It does say stabilizer on the spec sheet.

I use it, but not as a stabilizer.

I don't know how well it works as a stabilizer....

I put a teaspoon or two into the top end of any engine that's getting put up (for some time) as well as setting the piston at TDC (single cylinder-to keep outside, moist air from the combustion chamber)
              Scott

Comment

I believe the shiny parts he was talking about are not in the lower unit, they are in the crankcase.(crankshaft, bearings,Etc)

Comment

Will do those things . I Drained the rails and pumped in treated gas. I hope this will be enough . Thanks everybody for the advice

Comment

I just had this engine rebuilt and was wondering about the wires that connecect to the block on both sides in the back above the exhaust port . Seem to be grounding wire would it cause my problem if they were not connected properly?

Comment

Originally posted by Enki 4040 View Post
                      I just had this engine rebuilt and was wondering about the wires that connecect to the block on both sides in the back above the exhaust port . Seem to be grounding wire would it cause my problem if they were not connected properly?

Not sure which wire your referring to but if the ground to the starter (block) is bad, yes that'd cause issues..

The battery negative cable usually bolts right to the block directly. Unless there's corrosion, (PULL, CLEAN, INSPECT if you haven't already) the block and starter should be grounded fine...

You can ground the starter (black jumper cable), then positive to the lug of the starter and see if the stater works..

Good for the stabilizer but DRAIN THE VST FULLY. Really no reason to leave fuel in it...

Did you look at the parts fisch, under electrical, for any ground straps you may be missing?

And as 99 Yam mentioned, I was referring to the connecting rod/ crankshaft bearings in the engine that extra oil would be good...
                      Scott

Comment

The wire's are 14-12 gauge. 1 is below the junction on the starboard side the other is on the bottom port water jacket . I did remove the plugs and sprayed in conditioner . Will position the the pistons to top dead center today. I took the starter apart and gave it a cleaning . The guy who rebuilt the motor said that there was only 65 hours on the motor I am the 2nd owner and put at least 20-30 hours on it could the starter have gone bad from such little use ? Here's a good lesson for every one on importance of warming up engine properly . The first owner didn't warm it and gave it full throttle scuffing one cylinder and damaging the rings

Comment

Good chance the key switch, the wire from switch to start relay, or the start relay itself has a problem not the starter.

Not warming the motor and scuffing a piston is speculation on someones part, not proven fact.
                          It is best to get all parts of motor up to temp so that all metal has expanded to where it should be before showering down on the throttle,but I am not sure it would scuff a piston/cylinder.
                          my bet would be on overheat/lean running.

Does anyone know what motor is even being talked about?
                          Hard to get all pistons to TDC for storage if it has more that one

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
                            Good chance the key switch, the wire from switch to start relay, or the start relay itself has a problem not the starter.

Not warming the motor and scuffing a piston is speculation on someones part, not proven fact.
                            It is best to get all parts of motor up to temp so that all metal has expanded to where it should be before showering down on the throttle,but I am not sure it would scuff a piston/cylinder.
                            my bet would be on overheat/lean running.

Hmmmm

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post

It was in the Op's first post,: 2001 hpdi 150 tlrz, V6

And I doubt the starter failed in 100 hours...

It should work when hot wired DIRECT...
                              Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 10-27-2017, 11:47 AM.
                              Scott

Comment

Originally posted by Enki 4040 View Post
                                I took the starter apart and gave it a cleaning . The guy who rebuilt the motor said that there was only 65 hours on the motor
                                Did you bench test it once assembled?
                                Scott

Comment

Working...
                                X