Buy Yamaha Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Command Link loss of data(oil pressure, temp, voltage, RPM, and MPH)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Command Link loss of data(oil pressure, temp, voltage, RPM, and MPH)

Hello All,

This is my first post after finding this board while researching the issues I am currently having with a 2009 Sea Hunt Triton 240 with a single 2008 Yamaha 250, fly by wire throttle and 2 square command link gauges. While cruising in smooth water, the gauges all work fine. Once I am in waves, my Command Link gauges intermittently drop the MPH, RPMs, oil pressure, temp, and voltage. The trim gauge and fuel gauge never drop out. I have checked the connection entering and exiting the bus port/bar feeding both command link gauges. I have checked what appears to be the wiring harness connections at the motor. No corrosion or loose connections found. The bus port/bar was replaced as the issue, however it is still occurring as of yesterday.

Is there another connection between the motor and the bus port/bar that I am missing?
    Anyone had a similar issue?
    Thank you for any troubleshooting help.

interesting problem. Does this look like your setup?

the "fuel gauge not dropping out" makes sense,
    because that data is derived directly by the gauge,
    not supplied to it by the ECUs.

But I would expect the trim position data to behave the same as the other "engine" data. Puzzling.

Regardless, there are four wires in the Command Link gauge harness;
    red & black are power - so seems constant connections there;
    blue wire and white wire are the CL data.
    So seems like - somewhere - one of those connections is subject to intermittent bad contact.

Comment

I be wrong but I don't think the 2009 was DEC.
      it did use an electronic throttle valve and an APS.
      does this rig have the optional speed sensor or water pressure sensor?

Comment

actually he said it was a 2008, but who knows for sure what the motor is as he did not give a complete motor Model #
        could be a 2009 made in 2008

Comment

The motor is a F250BTXR 2008 model on a 2009 boat.

Comment

Probably a 3.3 liter F250BTXR model. First production date was May 2008.

Folks don't like to disclose what specific model they have for some reason. Easier to get a social security number, date of birth and drivers license number from Equifax it seems.

Comment

The gauges still have power but data is lost.
              I am thinking there must be something I have missed at the motor or wiring harness between the motor and console. Maybe an area worn from rubbing, trimming, bouncing that is only on the blue and white wire.

Comment

This motor has a MFG date sticker of 08/08 on the opposite side from the model # sticker. I assume it was built in 2008.

Comment

which is why Yamaha dropped date coding engines in 06. now you identify service procedures and parts replacement using the PID.
                  yes that motor was manufactured in the 8th month of 2008. is there any PID breaks in and around that date.
                  merc did the seriel number thing for years and years.
                  now if halfway through a production run Yamaha changes something they simply break the PID range and reassign the next set.
                  which is why you can have multiple SM for the production year.

there is a reason I asked about the speed and water pressure sensors.
                  answer it or not.

Comment

What is being referred to is that early speed and pressure sensors (actually the same part and part number) were prone to failure. In which case some strange juju could happen.

If your motor has either one or two sensors installed the first thing to do would be to disconnect them and see if the problem goes away. Also, inspect the engine harness electrical connector to each sensor for the presence of any moisture, corrosion or other detritus.

As fairwinds says, there are only four wires involved with conveying engine data and power from the DEC box and the key switch to the gauges. Two are for voltage and ground. Those can be eliminated from further review since the gauges remain powered up even though the data display is lost. Data is conveyed over the blue and white wires. Start with disconnecting and reconnecting any and all Command Link connectors to see if the problem gets better or stays the same.

If the problem remains then report back here for further advice.

Comment

The connectors highlighted in yellow in the illustration below are those that I would disconnect and reconnect to see if there is a connectivity issue for the Command Link data. Inspect each connector to see if anything looks untowards.

Comment

So I went to the 4P white connection (By the 12) going from HUB1 to the cluster of wires under the console. It appears to only be the white and blue wire at this connection. There was no signs of moisture or corrosion in the white connector or on the two pins. However, when I moved that white connector around, the RMP gauge went from a flatline to a 0 and the MPH gauge went from a double flat line to a single flat line (assuming the single flatline was cause we were not moving). The oil pressure, temperature, and volt gauges also returned. As I moved this white connector around, the data would drop in and out.
                        What is the best way to repair or replace this connector/connection?

Comment

Best way is to replace the terminals and connectors. This company may have replacement terminals and connectors.

SM-MT

If it is the connector on the control box side harness that is intermittent, and a replacement connector is not available, then that is a problemo grande.

If it is the connector on the pigtail harness side, then the harness can be replaced with a new one.

Some will cut the connectors and splice the two wires.

Comment

Working...
                          X