2004 Yamaha 200 HPDI surging

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2004 Yamaha 200 HPDI surging

I have a 2004 Yamaha 200 HPDI with about 315hrs on it. The motor has started to surge or hesitate for a split second then goes right back to running normal but it'll do this over and over in a perfect rhythm. It acts like its starving for fuel from what I can tell. I've replaced the fuel water separator filter, vst filter, metal canister filter above vst tank and also replaced the 2 low pressure fuel pumps. After doing all this it ran wonderful for about 20min then right back to the surging. It seems to only do it when the motor gets warm, I've never had it do it in first start up. I have not ran the motor on a separate tank to see if something in the main tank is clogging the lift tube but I will soon weather permitting. Also Ive noticed that fuel level in the fuel water separator is not all the way full but I don't know how full it should be and the vst tank is warm to the touch and I don't know if this is normal either. I've owned the boat for about a year now so I'm new to the Yamaha motor. I would appreciate any input and will try to answer question the best I can

Most likely basket filters in high pressure pump . I had mine removed by ( mine were clogged)mechanic who rebuilt mine . I deemed them unessasary. There are basket filters in the each injectors to all these filter are 3 micron ( mechanic replaced all 6). I put a 3 micron external filter on transom. There is also a screen on back side of vst tank that I had to clean . My internal filter- water seperator was also faulty I removed it . I am no mechanic . Hope this helps

Comment

If I had an HDPI I would want all screens and filters in place and functioning perfectly.

Comment

monitoring fuel pressures would be a good way to go. it will tell you if pressures are a problem when the problem shows up
        Guessing does not work well

restrictions or sucking air are 2 things to look for.
        if pressures stay in spec maybe injectors need cleaning

Comment

well I’m gonna replace those little basket filters and will look into the fuel pressures and air leaks, thank you for the input

Comment

Well I replace the basket filters and never found any air leaks but I noticed that when I click my trim tilt button the surging stops, also it has started to idle a little rough at times and sometimes it even dies but there’s no rhyme or reason to when it does it

Comment

Working...
            X