Fuel leaking from exhaust on cold start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel leaking from exhaust on cold start

can anyone tell me why my 1992 55hp yamaha c55elrq leaks raw fuel though the exhaust on start up, and what I need to fix the problem, .... also, the fuel intake seems to be faster than the priming ball can handle, so at full throttle the ball will empty, and needs to be pumped up again to continue operation, and are these two problems related?...Any help would be appreciated,... thanks

when was the last time you replaced the fuel pump?

Comment

Originally posted by donnie remesco View Post
      can anyone tell me why my 1992 55hp yamaha c55elrq leaks raw fuel though the exhaust on start up, and what I need to fix the problem, .... also, the fuel intake seems to be faster than the priming ball can handle, so at full throttle the ball will empty, and needs to be pumped up again to continue operation, and are these two problems related?...Any help would be appreciated,... thanks
      In bold above...like 99yam mentioned, this symptom is related to fuel pump failure. And I recon if you're over-priming to keep engine running, this might explain the raw fuel out of exhaust.

99yam...isn't it possible to force fuel via primer bulb while engine is running, thereby keeping float needle valve open, and thus flooding the cylinders?
      Jason
      1998 S115TLRW + 1976 Aquasport 170

Comment

nope. float will close off the needle and seat and stop fuel flow into bowl when it raises

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
          nope. float will close off the needle and seat and stop fuel flow into bowl when it raises
          Gotcha. Is there another way for raw fuel to exit the exhaust other than from the cylinders exhaust port?
          Jason
          1998 S115TLRW + 1976 Aquasport 170

Comment

not that I know of, it has to go threw the cylinders to hit the exhaust

Comment

two days ago,....it was the first thing I did,.... the situation didn't change.

Comment

already changed the fuel pump,... and fuel still comes through, without prime.

Comment

Float stuck, or full of fuel and not floating anymore?

Comment

Is your Primestart lever in the "on" position?.... Should be in "automatic" position...

Comment

I do not believe the last 2 comments would make it run out of fuel where you would need to pump the bulb to get fuel back into the carb bowl

Comment

What kind of boat is this engine on? Tank is not higher then the engine by chance?

Comment

yes, tank is higher,.... it's a pontoon.
                          the fuel stops coming out of the exhaust, within a couple of minutes of operation

Comment

I figured as much..my hunch is the same as the others, bad fuel pump and/or a bad needle valve in the carb...I am leaning more towards the carb.If the needle and seat are not perfect and then you add gravity from the fuel tank being above the carb/engine....recipe for leaking fuel.

See it many times on motorcycle and snowmobiles. That is pretty much the reason why many motorcycles have fuel shut off valves on the fuel tank.

Comment

Originally posted by donnie remesco View Post
                              yes, tank is higher,.... it's a pontoon.
                              the fuel stops coming out of the exhaust, within a couple of minutes of operation
                              Float activated inlet valves can seem to be a bit funky at times. With just a little bit of pressure on the needle valve the valve may not seat completely and fail to stop the flow of gasoline. With a tad more pressure, or maybe a lot of pressure, on the float, the valve may close tighter and prevent the flow of any gasoline.

The faster the flow of fuel into the float bowl the quicker the pressure rises causing the valve to seat tighter. The pressure from just the elevated tank alone may be insufficient to cause the float to seat the valve. When the motor starts the fuel pressure quickly rises to a higher pressure, resulted in more fuel being supplied to the carburetor, causing the float to rise higher. The float trying to go higher causes the valve to close tighter.

Makes it seem strange that with more pressure the valve seals whereas with just a bit of pressure it may not. Counter to what conventional thinking might suggest.

This is sometimes seen in power trim and tilt assemblies. Stop the motor from going up by just deactivating the UP switch and it might bleed back down over time. Power it down for a nanosecond and the increased hydraulic pressure might result in a check valve seating that otherwise might not seat.

Comment

Working...
                              X