2004 115 2 stroke alarms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2004 115 2 stroke alarms

I have a 2004 Yamaha 115 2 stroke. When I turn on the key I get the initial alarm then 2 short alarms after. I ran the engine approximately 30 minutes in a lake and shut it down to fish. When I tried to fire back up the alarms started. The oil tank is full and the water pump is pumping great.
    Any ideas?

A single Yamaha should not make a sound when the key is turned on.

When you say that the oil tank is full, which tank?

What gauges are in the boat? What are you seeing on the gauges with respect to oil lights and an over temperature light?

My guess would be a low voltage issue.

Comment

Both oil tanks are full. I load tested the battery before making the trip to the lake but haven't checked it after getting the alarms. The engine spins over great so I figured the battery was ok.

Comment

There is no gauges on this Skeeter fish and ski when it comes to oil or engine temp.

Comment

he asked what gauges you have ,
          do you not have any gauges?

a bad connection can cause a low voltage condition to parts of the electrical system without it affecting the starter

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
            he asked what gauges you have ,
            do you not have any gauges?

a bad connection can cause a low voltage condition to parts of the electrical system without it affecting the starter
            Yep, just a loose fuse will do it.

Comment

I spoke with 2 separate mechanics today from different shops. Both were different. One said it was normal and the other said Yamaha doesn't have any alarm sounds during start up. I've check voltages and everything seems to be ok.

Comment

Originally posted by TJRITTER View Post
                When I turn on the key I get the initial alarm then 2 short alarms after.
                As boscoe stated...there is NO initial alarm when keyed ON. And by the way you state this it sounds like you believe this alarm to be normal.

Originally posted by TJRITTER View Post
                There is no gauges on this Skeeter fish and ski when it comes to oil or engine temp.
                For now, forgot about oil this or temp that. It's pretty simple on this forum. We can't help you unless you completely answer the questions you're being asked. Do you have a yamaha gauge installed in your boat?

If so, is this gauge a tachometer or a speedometer...or perhaps you have both?
                Last edited by Jason2tpa; 09-22-2017, 01:24 AM.
                Jason
                1998 S115TLRW + 1976 Aquasport 170

Comment

No gauges on the boat. The alarms are not normal. I read on another post that it could be water in the fuel. I plan to change fuel filters today.

Comment

I can save you some time.
                    the 04 2 stroke smoker did not have water in the fuel detect.
                    that's a wabbit wasted.

you need to find the short or improper rigging.

Comment

Thanks for the info. I bought this boat used and there's been a lot of wiring work under the dash over the year's that doesn't look to healthy. I'll start cleaning up the mess and maybe solve the problem.

Comment

You're flying blind without the yam tach gauge to let you know which of 2 alarms are activating. Since you're getting an alarm, deal with that which causes an alarm to activate. Waste of time meddling with things that do not cause an alarm...like water in fuel.

I'd first determine if your alarms are functioning appropriately to rule out the alarm you're hearing being a false-positive alarm.

To test low oil alarm:
                        Empty the engines oil tank. Turn key ON. Alarm should sound. Refill engine oil tank. Empty reserve oil tank. Turn key ON. Alarm should sound. Refill reserve tank.

To test high temp alarm:
                        Disconnect the 2 engine side pigtails connecting to the thermosensor. Connect the 2 engine side pigtails together. Turn engine ON. Alarm should sound. Reconnect. Repeat on other bank.

If both alarms are functioning appropriately you can then focus on the ignition wiring, along with the lanyard kill switch wiring. When you turn key ON the current is being grounded somewhere along its path when it shouldn't be.
                        Jason

Comment

You're flying blind without the yam tach gauge to let you know which of 2 alarms are activating. Since you're getting an alarm, deal with that which causes an alarm to activate. Waste of time meddling with things that do not cause an alarm...like water in fuel.

I'd first determine if your alarms are functioning appropriately to rule out the alarm you're hearing being a false-positive alarm.

To test low oil alarm:
                          Empty the engines oil tank. Turn key ON. Alarm should sound. Refill engine oil tank. Empty reserve oil tank. Turn key ON. Alarm should sound. Refill reserve tank.

To test high temp alarm:
                          Disconnect the 2 engine side pigtails connecting to the thermosensor. Connect the 2 engine side pigtails together. Turn engine ON. Alarm should sound. Reconnect. Repeat on other bank.

If both alarms are functioning appropriately you can then focus on the ignition wiring, along with the lanyard kill switch wiring. When you turn key ON the current is being grounded somewhere along its path when it shouldn't be.
                          Jason

Comment

remote oil tank does not have an alarm associated with its level.

and there is not an alarm on Yamaha single rigged motors that I know of that sets at key on or any that set 2 short beeps.

where are these noises coming from?
                            remote control or maybe gauges?
                            Last edited by 99yam40; 09-22-2017, 07:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
                              remote oil tank does not have an alarm associated with its level
                              I believe the '04 115R has the same oil injection pump and oil alarm sensor as the '98 115R. I have the '98 115R and indeed the low level alarm activates when low oil level is detected in the reserve tank.
                              Jason

Comment

Working...
                              X