Engine bogges down on acceleration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine bogges down on acceleration

I have a 25 hp 4 stroke on my pontoon and sometimes it runs great, but after running about 30 minutes, it will bog down and die. It will restart but when engaged in gear, it will only run at slow speed (no wake speed). I had it in the shop for this, and the tech said it had water in the fuel. He replaced the fuel tank and fuel filter, plugs. It ran fine for 30 minutes and started acting up again. I scents have rebuilt the carburetor. Again the same results. Ran for 39 minutes and then shut down again. Any ideals.

Did you try pumping the primer bulb when trying to restart the engine? Is the primer bulb soft when the engine dies?

Please provide the exact model, Serial number, and date of manufacture on the transom bracket.

Comment

It's a F25A 2003. serial number is un-reable, but it starts out with 65WL1000(9 or3). I can't make out the rest of the numbers.

Comment

Originally posted by panasonic View Post
        Did you try pumping the primer bulb when trying to restart the engine? Is the primer bulb soft when the engine dies?

Please provide the exact model, Serial number, and date of manufacture on the transom bracket.
        Thanks for model...ect

What about the other questions asked?

Comment

Yes I tried the bulb, but it was hard.

Comment

I don't have a problem starting it. Its just when I try to excellerate that it bogs down.

Comment

Is this engine tiller control or remote? Do you have warning lights on the engine itself or at the helm? Are you getting any warning alarms?

Also is the engine peeing OK?

Please provide as much detail as you can on your setup.

Comment

It is remote and has no lights and no warnings. Impeller is new and working great.

Comment

remote operated motors should have alarm buzzer in the remote control

Comment

As I understand this...the engine will run good for approximately 30 minutes from a cold start. Then it will bog down and cut out. Then you can restart and it will only run at low RPM. Is this correct?

How long do you have to wait if you shut it down, and let cool, before it will run properly again? An hour, couple of hours, all day?

I am thinking it may be a heat related problem....the engine may be slowly overheating...30 minutes or so and going into RPM reduction mode.If this was happening, it will stay in this mode until it cools down.

Are you sure there are not two little LED lights on the front lower cowling of the engine. They would probably be hard to see on a pontoon boat while at the helm.

Do you have a multi function Tach on the boat?

Comment

There was no control box when I bought the motor. Bought a used one (box) from boat dealer.

Comment

Also you say the mechanic replaced the fuel tank. Did he give you a reason why he did?

Comment

Originally posted by Thelureman View Post
                          There was no control box when I bought the motor. Bought a used one (box) from boat dealer.
                          even a used con*****er will have a buzzer, or at least it had a working one to start out with

or are you saying you do not have a con*****er for the motor at all?
                          Last edited by 99yam40; 09-12-2017, 11:40 PM.

Comment

Yes it has a control box on it now. The tech said tank had a leak letting rain in. When I got it back, it ran great for an hour or so. We stopped to let the grandkids fish for an hour or two. Started right up and ran great again for 5 minutes and then it bogged down and died. It started back up but would only run at low rpm. I took it out of the water and rebuilt the carburetor. Put it back in the water and it was great for about an hour or so. Stopped to fish and then headed back. After we headed back, it started to bog down and die. Idle speed only back to the house.
                            Last edited by Thelureman; 09-18-2017, 01:52 PM.

Comment

Bump to top. Anybody have any suggestions for this problem it is still ongoing...

Comment

Working...
                              X