No announcement yet.

ox66 primary fuel filter replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yamaha says to use alcohol free gasoline whenever possible. I wonder if the choice is between 87 octane with 10% ethanol and 89 or 90 octane with no ethanol, what is the best choice?

Back in the day when auto gasoline was hard to get, I had Avgas available to put in my car. I remember having to scrape lead buildup from the spark plugs about every 500 miles. Otherwise the plug would stop firing when the lead bridged the two electrodes. The car was designed for leaded gasoline, just not in the quantities of what the Avgas had in it at that time. It smelled funky as well.

Comment

unless your running above about 11/1 compression av gas simply burns to slow.
      back in the day we were running a 350 chevy with 12.5 TRW slugs and turning it 7500 to the shift points it liked the blue av gas from Cleburne airport.
      did not do so well in my 442.

Comment

I always liked the smell of racing gas.

Comment

Originally posted by panasonic View Post
          The engines are not designed to have lead in the fuel whereas aircraft piston engines where designed to have lead for higher octane and to lube the valves. I think if you where to burn Avgas in a modern outboard that lead would build up on the valve stems, cylinder heads and foul spark plugs.And emissions.
          Back when unleaded came out there was a lot of valves and valve seats that ended up getting burned.
          also way back when some folks drained the condensate from natural gas pipe lines and put that in there tanks, they had to be careful about how much they added to the regular gas because it would burn the valves too.
          At least that is what the old guys told me

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
            when some folks drained the condensate from natural gas pipe lines and put that in there tanks,
            was that a Texas thing?

sounds like something I've read about - in Nigeria

Comment

Originally posted by fairdeal View Post
              was that a Texas thing?

While smoking a cigarette.

Comment

we called it west texas drip gas.

and yes unleaded ment a lot of valve jobs and EX seat replacements back in the day.

Comment

Originally posted by rodbolt17 View Post
                  unless your running above about 11/1 compression av gas simply burns to slow.
                  back in the day we were running a 350 chevy with 12.5 TRW slugs and turning it 7500 to the shift points it liked the blue av gas from Cleburne airport.
                  did not do so well in my 442.
                  Airplane piston engines for the most part are low compression. For instance, the IO-540 is 8.7:1. Requires gasoline rated at 100 octane. Minimum. Higher is just fine.

Suppliers of pump gasoline for racers say their high octane gasoline burns faster than lower octane gasoline. Reason being that at high engine RPM's there is less time for the gasoline to burn between the time that the spark plug ignites and the time that peak cylinder pressure needs to be reached, just after top dead center. Piston moves faster so the gasoline needs to burn faster, in order to keep up with the piston speed.

Comment

Originally posted by panasonic View Post
                    I think it also has to do with how many subscribers your channel has. I have one.....me hahaha!
                    At least you have ONE! I'm not sure I even subscribe to myself!!!
                    2000 Yamaha OX66 250HP SX250TXRY 61AX103847T
                    1982 Grady Weekender/Offshore (removed stern drive & modded to be an OB)

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
                      While smoking a cigarette.
                      Have you ever seen how the locals in Nigeria produce diesel fuel?
                      I had to change the channel......

Found it on YouTube

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4e3_bkKwgQY
                      Last edited by pstephens46; 09-03-2017, 10:49 AM.

Comment

that must be a very good grade of diesel they produce with that high tech system and quality control

Comment

Originally posted by pstephens46 View Post
                          Have you ever seen how the locals in Nigeria produce diesel fuel?
                          I had to change the channel......

Found it on YouTube

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4e3_bkKwgQY
                          From the Niger Delta. How is that pronounced up in The New Found Land?

By the way. If The new found land became Newfoundland, and if the land of the Eng's became England (like the land of the Scots became Scotland), then why isn't our New England, Newengland?

We have a Pacific Northwest but not an Atlantic Northeast. No Pacific Southwest either. Isn't the Northwest always on the Pacific? Is there any other Northwest?

Language is difficult.

Comment

Originally posted by fairdeal View Post
                            was that a Texas thing?

I never saw how they do it, but heard there are low spots on the pipe lines where the liquid condensate collects with drain valves.
                            not sure of what the pressure in the pipe line would be or if there are valves set up to block off the line pressure before opening the drain.
                            Probably not like this anymore with the way they compress and treat/clean up the gas.
                            but I maybe wrong

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
                              Airplane piston engines for the most part are low compression. For instance, the IO-540 is 8.7:1. Requires gasoline rated at 100 octane. Minimum. Higher is just fine.

Suppliers of pump gasoline for racers say their high octane gasoline burns faster than lower octane gasoline. Reason being that at high engine RPM's there is less time for the gasoline to burn between the time that the spark plug ignites and the time that peak cylinder pressure needs to be reached, just after top dead center. Piston moves faster so the gasoline needs to burn faster, in order to keep up with the piston speed.
                              Piper Navajo with turbo IO-540's on her..at night you can see the turbo glowing red hot right through the cowling!!!

Almost all WWII piston engines had low compression ratios so that they could boost the hell out of them (superchargers mostly) at altitude. Some as low as 6.5:1

The IO-540 was developed in the 50's and a normally aspirated one probably only needed the lead for valve lube. But they knew they would turbo and supercharge them eventually and need the lead to stop detonation, with the boosted engines.

Also something about the lead in the fuel made it less likely to vapor lock at altitude???

First fuel injected engine I ever seen and worked on was a turbo IO-540...bullet proof engine.

Comment

Some of the octane levels used in the fighters in WWII were shocking. I need to go pull out the book and review.

Comment

Working...
                                X