X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ox66 primary fuel filter replacement

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNFhjqFJaiM&t=15s

hope this helps you out

Good thing you are changing the filter because its upside down.

Comment

I get a lot of coin from customers watching the you tubes.

Comment

I didn't even think it would fit upside down... Also he was talking about fuels and unless you are using fuel without ethanol running high test doesn't matter.

Comment

I see upside down filters rather often.
          unless the owners manual states an octane over 87 it is a waste of money and can actually lead to engine damage.

but hey it is on the you tubes and you tubes simply cannot be wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by rodbolt17 View Post
            I see upside down filters rather often.
            unless the owners manual states an octane over 87 it is a waste of money and can actually lead to engine damage.

but hey it is on the you tubes and you tubes simply cannot be wrong.
            Why don't the engine makers warn of the possible damage that the use of gasoline with excessive octane can cause?

Why do they say "use gasoline with X octane minimum" with no limitations regarding the use of gasoline with a higher octane?

If folks can't get gasoline with the correct octane rating, are they to not use their motors or are they to use stuff that is available but which will put them at risk of engine damage?

It is tough to be a boaters these days. Ethanol, octane, sea weed, sand, corrosion... Easy is getting harder to do.

Comment

Your suppose to just park them there boats and just look at and admire them

Comment

many moons ago Yamaha sent out a tech bulliten about it.

as I owned a dyno then I said let me see.
                I acquired several gallons of 110 av gas and tested with a 1992 200 carbed yam
                first test at 5500 on 87 octane .
                second test after carefully flushing the lines, at 5500 on av gas it showed almost a 20% drop in HP.
                that is when I actually started researching what octane rating was about.

same engine,same dyno,same day the only difference was fuel.
                that drop in HP simply ment the AV gas burned to slow.

Comment

I may be a bit cynical here, but his (3) recent posts, back to back, kind of seems like an attempt to get enough views to start earning money on Youtube. I admittedly don't know how the whole process works, there's something about getting enough views and allowing ads to start earning money with each view. I don't think the actual content of the video has anything to do with it. Someone can make a video about nothing and still earn money.

Rod, do you think using only 89 or 91 octane would also show a drop in octane? Meaning, do you think it's a linear relationship between octane and HP, or does the HP loss start to happen AFTER a certain octane number. Only reason I ask is because I have never heard of any manufacturer saying that 89/91/ octane is bad.
                  Last edited by DennisG01; 09-02-2017, 12:26 PM.
                  2000 Yamaha OX66 250HP SX250TXRY 61AX103847T
                  1982 Grady Weekender/Offshore (removed stern drive & modded to be an OB)

Comment

I thought about making a video on how to remove the impeller key without damage or cursing.

Comment

Originally posted by DennisG01 View Post
                      I may be a bit cynical here, but his (3) recent posts, back to back, kind of seems like an attempt to get enough views to start earning money on Youtube. I admittedly don't know how the whole process works, there's something about getting enough views and allowing ads to start earning money with each view. I don't think the actual content of the video has anything to do with it. Someone can make a video about nothing and still earn money.

Rod, do you think using only 89 or 91 octane would also show a drop in octane? Meaning, do you think it's a linear relationship between octane and HP, or does the HP loss start to happen AFTER a certain octane number. Only reason I ask is because I have never heard of any manufacturer saying that 89/91/ octane is bad.
                      I think it also has to do with how many subscribers your channel has. I have one.....me hahaha!

Comment

What is the normal octane of av gas?
                        I thought it was more like 100 or 105.
                        but I do not buy it or deal with it.

I am sure if a motor should have 87,
                        89, or 91 would not harm it much at all.
                        but that is just my opinion

Comment

Avgas today is 100 octane. 100LL as in low lead. But still gobs of lead.

I am not aware of any Yamaha US bulletin that says not to use gasoline with a higher octane rating. If they did they apparently did not consult with the engineers in Japan. In fact, the owner's manuals say just the opposite. If pinging or knocking is heard use a higher octane. Never heard of higher octane damaging a motor.

Here is what the motor makers say. See for yourself and come to your own conclusion.

Comment

why do you think they say in that to not use leaded gas?

emissions?

Comment

The engines are not designed to have lead in the fuel whereas aircraft piston engines where designed to have lead for higher octane and to lube the valves. I think if you where to burn Avgas in a modern outboard that lead would build up on the valve stems, cylinder heads and foul spark plugs.And emissions.

Comment

Working...
                              X