T60 TLR shutting off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dray0151 View Post
    That dark abyss is the devil at work and hard to get anything out of!!!! I've had to dig several times.
    If I don't drop into the abyss, I drop in the canal and have to go diving for a part...
    Scott
    1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Fortunately mine just drop onto the driveway I have no canal. Have you met up with any unexpected creatures while down there?
      Dennis
      Keep life simple, eat, sleep, fish, repeat!

Comment

Fortunately mine just drop onto the driveway I have no canal. Have you met up with any unexpected creatures while down there?
        There's dolphins, Manatee's, snook occasionally, snapper, sheephead and mullet but the dolphins and Manatess's are kinda rare.

The canal is approx 200' wide (man made), approx 8' deep, direct access (sailboats, no bridges), about 6 minutes idling to get to the river.

With Irma that just came thru, my sea-wall got destroyed, pic from yesterday.

Taken from the 4 post boat lift(un-damaged):
        That pad WAS horizontal(now 45 degree's, same for the davits and bases)

Scott

Comment

Scott have you thought about that tree in the picture and it's roots and their effect on the wall? tree roots travel far and can push a lot of pressure on any type of wall. Hope you get this all cleaned up and enjoy many more years on the salt!! Others may have a tree near theirs also but the roots just haven't put enough pressure on their wall yet to cause a problem.
          Dennis
          Keep life simple, eat, sleep, fish, repeat!

Comment

Scott have you thought about that tree in the picture and it's roots and their effect on the wall? tree roots travel far and can push a lot of pressure on any type of wall. Hope you get this all cleaned up and enjoy many more years on the salt!! Others may have a tree near theirs also but the roots just haven't put enough pressure on their wall yet to cause a problem.
            I keep cutting the tree "TOP" low so yes, the trunk is VERY thick and the roots are deep.

Just removing some of the electrical wiring to the light post, I had to cut a bunch of roots...

I really didn't see any roots by the wall itself (now under water with fishes swimming into my back yard), more so up by the "patio-walled area".

There won't be ANY pads again, a 5' wood dock to go between the boat post lift and seawall cap.

Davits, I'd like to keep, see what the contractor says about strength/failure rate, pressure on the wall, etc...

If he doesn't want the tree, (it's a strength issue), I'll take that down to the stump myself.

That flat pad (between the davits), is tilting more every day.... Davits seem to be staying at 45 degrees.
            Scott

Comment

Update

I have drained the second pump into white rag and didn't see any dark color deposits. Primed the bulb as noted to send additional fuel through.

Fuel injectors
              I pulled each injector plugs. Using multi meter, tested the resistance on each which resulted in exactly 12.6 ohm. I cannot find my motors rating to verify if that's correct resistance. Assume it's good as each are the same?
              Next, I removed each injector and cleaned each using the pressurized rubber hose to carb cleaner straw w\ battery leads setup. They did have some noticeable varnish build-up but sprayed good

Sea Trial
              During my sea trial last night I also added a bottle of Sea Foam to approx 10 gallons gas. Hot soak method at dock before heading out.

After about 20 mins in, at approx 6kts motor rpms dropped out [to 7k] then died. I primed the bulb for 1-2 minutes while completing the exit from the harbor into open water. The next 2hs ran at varying mid to full speed without issue. Once more while at full speed another occurrence. One minute bulb prime then another 1.5 hours runtime mid\full speeds without issue.

So, at this time I'd say a great improvement but not completely rid of the issue

Next up:
              Going to replace all the spark plugs [dumb I haven't already] next

Comment

I believe you replaced the fuel pump...

If the engine runs better for awhile after priming the primer bulb, sounds like you have an air leak somewhere in the system.

Wether it be the perhaps the tank pick up tube, under cowl filter seal, etc,

Do a search here, I believe member "Fairdeal" posted about hooking up clear fuel line in the system to MONITOR for air bubbles getting into the
                the system...

Scott

Comment

Is it possible the diameter of the fuel line is too small? Could be enough to keep it going for a while, but it slowly loses ground and the engine starves for fuel? My hunch suggests that's not the case, especially if they have been in place for a while and this problem hasn't occurred.

I'd say the vacuum leak (minor) is more likely and ultimately results in the same starvation an inadequate fuel line would cause.

Comment

Make sure you have checked/inspected for any cracks in the low pressure fuel filter plastic top, I have had 2 x of these with cracks that were not easily visible, remove the filter from its S/S bracket mounted to the engine by removing the 12 mm S/S nut and then pump/pressurise the primer bulb n look for any leaks, the 2 that I had were not visible until pressurised, both of engines that I had with this issue presented problems/faults almost identical to yours, and both of mine were on the same engine as yours.

Comment

I wonder why you have to prime it for so long.
                      should be able to pump bulb a few times to have it get fuel where it should be and firm up

Comment

Yes true, but still worth inspecting, certainly shouldn't take long to Prime up.

Comment

Originally posted by exeter27 View Post
                          Is it possible the diameter of the fuel line is too small? Could be enough to keep it going for a while, but it slowly loses ground and the engine starves for fuel? My hunch suggests that's not the case, especially if they have been in place for a while and this problem hasn't occurred.

I'd say the vacuum leak (minor) is more likely and ultimately results in the same starvation an inadequate fuel line would cause.
                          My neighbors 200 V6 200 2 stroke had a 5/16" fuel line (too small) on his vessel. So, no, that's not your issue especially if it ran fine before.

His engine failed once when we were out and I had to prime constantly to get home. Turned out to be the transom fuel filter rubber gasket busted causing an air leak..

Ethanol WILL tear up, eat up rubber parts, turn plastic yellow, etc.

You very likely have an air leak. Have a helper prime the bulb hard and see if you can find any leakages. If it never hardens up, your leak is up-stream of that.

One other possibility, with no transom filter (not as likely), if your primer bulb is toast, doesn't SEAL, and is NOT IN A VERTICAL POSITION (pointing UP), fuel may run back into the tank.

**Fuel, that WAS in the line/system, if it runs back into the tank, WILL CAUSE you to excessively have to prime again..

Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 09-20-2017, 04:55 PM.
                          Scott

Comment

Originally posted by TownsendsFJR1300 View Post
                            One other possibility, with no transom filter (not as likely), if your primer bulb is toast, doesn't SEAL, and is NOT IN A VERTICAL POSITION (pointing UP), fuel may run back into the tank.

**Fuel, that WAS in the line/system, if it runs back into the tank, WILL CAUSE you to excessively have to prime again..
                            fuel should not flow back to tank with the motor/fuel pump running

Comment

To sum up what I have replaced since the issue started:

New Tempo 18gal above deck gas tank which replaced two 7.5 gallon tanks

New 3/8" gas tank hose
                              https://www.westmarine.com/buy/west-...-3-8--14705651

New low pressure fuel pump
                              Part#6C5-24410-00-00

Water separator filter [built-in]
                              Part# 6D8-WS24A-00-00

In-Line fuel filter [between low pressure pump and water separator]
                              Part#6C5-24251-00-00

Pending 4 new spark plugs install tomorrow morning
                              Part#NGK-DPR6E-B9
                              Then new compression test while plugs are out. Last one was done in May of this year. Come to find today my own harbor freight tester was past it's '5 times called to use limit' and has entered its heavenly house. RIP

The air leak seems indeed very likely here. Looking into that clear hose step to see how it was done. That's next!

Thanks for the continued expert advise here fellas. Really can't express my appreciation enough. Cheers

Comment

The 6c5 filter you replaced is just the element, make sure you check the plastic filter top that this element goes onto, that is what I was talking about before, not the element, the black filter top housing can and does crack, sometimes it is not visible, if it has, then it will suck air there.

Comment

Working...
                                X