1990 Yamaha 225ETLD oil pump disconnected

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seals inside could also be toast.

As your on pre-mix already, hook everything up and see if it works.

Might luck out, might need some new parts.

With the pre-mix already in there, you have nothing to loose...

Scott
    1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

after oil system meddled with, even restored back to original, engine has to be started with pre-mix and run pre-mix until oil system clear tubes filled completely, observed via clear tubing. It is in a service manual, to prevent seize of pistons.

Comment

and it has to be done after every prolonged or seasonal storage.

Comment

Ok I will try hooking everything back up and see if it's using oil.

Comment

Originally posted by amahaork View Post
            after oil system meddled with, even restored back to original, engine has to be started with pre-mix and run pre-mix until oil system clear tubes filled completely, observed via clear tubing. It is in a service manual, to prevent seize of pistons.
            He's already been running pre-mix...
            Scott
            1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Main questions are,
              did the PO pull the oil pump drive shaft when he disabled the oil system?
              and, why did he disable the oil system?
              what is wrong with the system?

The OP gets to do some investigating

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
                Main questions are,
                did the PO pull the oil pump drive shaft when he disabled the oil system?
                and, why did he disable the oil system?
                what is wrong with the system?

The OP gets to do some investigating
                He said left the oil pump on there and gear, just diconnected the oil line going to the oil pump because he didn't want to worry about the pump going out.

Comment

Sad, very sad that people do things like that not knowing what they are doing.

hope all parts are still in good shape and work well for you

Comment

Ok got some updates for you guys. I believe I have everything hooked up correctly. I have oil in the small oil tank on the motor provided by the bigger tank in the boat. I premixed the gas 50:1 and took it out for a test. The motor was smoking like crazy at idle, ran it pretty hard to try and see if any oil was being used but couldn't really tell. I will say after I ran it wide open for a few minutes and stop to take a break I had a lot of oil dripping out the back side of the motor into the water. I couldn't find anywhere the oil was coming out of and the only logical thing I could think of was the unused oil was just coming out of the carbs.

Comment

Could it just be running rich?

Comment

there is an oil output test. I use a consumption test.
                        find a real dealership that has a Master technician. use the Yamaha dealer locator.
                        if you brought that rig to me I could verify it works but would warrenty nothing.
                        idiots disable a fine almost failure proof system out of stupidity.

Comment

Originally posted by rodbolt17 View Post
                          find a real dealership that has a Master technician. use the Yamaha dealer locator.
                          if you brought that rig to me I could verify it works but would warrenty nothing.
                          And when they do, they are so proud to tell you about it. Like they have one-upped the engineers.

Comment

Originally posted by rodbolt17 View Post
                            I will be taking the boat to a well know Yamaha mechanic in the area. I am going to have him confirm the oil system is working and to once over the whole motor. I believe the motor was just getting double the oil it needed so it was spitting it out the carbs but I guess we will see if the mechanic finds anything.

Comment

Ok guys I think I am going to try and tackle this on my own. There are two ways I think I can confirm the precision blend is working. First one is run premix with the oil system hooked up and see if it is using oil. 2nd idea Is to run the motor on the trailer with pre mix gas, start unhooking the small oil lines going to the carbs to make sure oil is being pumped out of each one. Which one would you do?

Comment

Well I ran the motor tonight and could confirm that oil was being used by the motor. I had a temp gun and was watching the tempature on all the cylinders and they were all within 5 degrees. I would assume that if a cylinder wasn’t getting oil it would get a lot hotter than the others? Ran the motor off of regular gas for a good 30 mins and it smoked the whole time at idle. The only that I question is the motor too a very long time at idle to warm up at all. After an hour of running it only got to around 120 degrees at max.

Comment

Working...
                                X