X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by panasonic View Post
    [/b]

FADEC.....
    True story about digital and electronics. The C-130 was converted to a two man ****pit with FADEC con*****ed engines. One day, when flying merrily along, the APU (auxilliary power unit) decided of its own accord to start up. Startled the hell out of the flight crew.

When the software engineers were asked "if the APU can start itself without being commanded to do so then is it possible for any/all of the engines to shut themselves down?". They all looked down at the same time, avoiding eye contact, and started muttering that it is impossible. I think their noses started getting longer.

Boeing is reportedly working on future air planes that will be designed to operate without any flight crew being on board. Seems the flight crews today are responsible for most crashes. The auto pilots can do a better job.

Comment

Originally posted by fairdeal View Post
      you aviation guys must know lots of fly-by-wire stories

I have little knowledge of it, but am fascinated by Air France 447

Bad situation. Flying into thunderstorms started the whole thing.....snowballed from there. Crappy pitot tubes.

Comment

Yes and they think they can make cars and Semi's drive themselves until the computer chip burps and the software code doesn't know how to react? I've written code and it is darn near impossible to think of all the conditions that can happen and is always needing tweaking to handle a new situation.
        Dennis
        Keep life simple, eat, sleep, fish, repeat!

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
          True story about digital and electronics. The C-130 was converted to a two man ****pit with FADEC con*****ed engines. One day, when flying merrily along, the APU (auxilliary power unit) decided of its own accord to start up. Startled the hell out of the flight crew.

When the software engineers were asked "if the APU can start itself without being commanded to do so then is it possible for any/all of the engines to shut themselves down?". They all looked down at the same time, avoiding eye contact, and started muttering that it is impossible. I think their noses started getting longer.

Boeing is reportedly working on future air planes that will be designed to operate without any flight crew being on board. Seems the flight crews today are responsible for most crashes. The auto pilots can do a better job.
          Mr FADEC can and will shut down engines when required. He does not ask, he just does. They work incredibly well.
          Last edited by panasonic; 08-14-2017, 07:16 PM.

Comment

It all works well.

Until it doesn't. Usually at the worst possible time.

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post

Sure. I spoke to an engineer once who was involved with one of the modern fighter development programs. Can't remember which plane. Air Force. He stated that the overall opinion was the aircraft didn't need a cannon. "They didn't want the pilots screwing around strafing and getting shot down." This goofy bastard couldn't fight his way out of a paper sack. Still can't. I laughed for ten minutes. He father was an F105 pilot. He would have been ashamed....

Comment

Have added injector cleaner and will put a few hours on out board to see if it makes a difference. to check Fuel Pressure Reg output , im assuming were looking for a pressure, can this be measured on the fuel rail , check at idle then increase throttle pressure should increase with no delay

Comment

is there an easy way to trouble shoot and confirm operation of the fuel pressure regulator

Comment

don't know anyone would call it easy -

but certainly while you you monitor rail pressure with one gauge
                    (don't know if there is an "easy" Schrader on the rail or an adapter tee is needed)

you would then apply a varying measured vacuum to the regulator

and see that one changes with the other

engine wouldn't need to be running - just make the pump run

Comment

Working...
                    X