Quick Intro, and New Guy Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quick Intro, and New Guy Questions

Whew - I'll go ahead and say that some of the posts on here have been the most informative I have read regarding Yamaha Outboards. So the site name works.

So quick intro - Picked up an old Mako ('86 20c) with a 2001 Yamaha 150 OX66 about 2 weeks ago. She's going to be my floating restoration project. The boat is solid structurally - just kind ugly and cheaply upgraded through the years. But the price was right and the motor tested out well (and has run well on my one run since purchase). Now, I have NEVER owned a Yamaha outboard in my 20 years on the water. It's always been a Johnson or an Evinrude! (and one Mercruiser I/O - but we don't talk about that) So everything about this engine is new to me. Which is actually pretty exciting. But, at the same time, a little unnerving.

So this week/weekend i'm doing as much as a complete maintenance overhaul as my wallet (see: wife) will allow at this time and then getting into the nitty gritty on the boat itself with fixes and upgrades. Sadly the people I bought the boat from weren't exactly the brightest bulbs - but mechanically everything seems to be working great.

As it stands i've purchased and i'm ready to install/have installed:
    New plugs (already installed and gaped - the old ones had a decent amount of build-up on them and were only gaped at .025)
    all the anodes, (the big one on the bracket, trim tab, and the 8 for the engine itself and the screws that attach them)
    a new water pump kit including housing, gaskets, the "clips" for the shaft and new vent and drain screws and gaskets
    New remote F/W separating filter (big blue one - already installed)
    New engine mounted filter and gaskets (lil one in the cup)
    Digital Multi-Function Tach (this will be a separate post if issues come up)

and because she does NOT get a tell-tale stream while on muffs but does when on the flush port.
    New thermostats and gaskets
    New poppet valve, spring, grommet and gasket

So, needless to say i'm going to have a greasy fun couple of days!

Here's where the questions start:
    1) I keep reading about the L/P fuel pumps and the VST tank and filter. But, because of photobucket's fantastic new policy, all of the "how to" posts are now like reading a really bad repair manual.

I can assume (which I never like to do) that I don't have any issues with my L/P pumps or my VST filter at this time because I am not having idle, bogging, or surging issues. I hit 5200 RPM at WOT with 65 gallons of fuel and 3 people on board. But, I would REALLY like to replace/deal with any potential issues before they actually become issues.

Boatinfo.no's Yamaha manual isn't a great manual and I work a lot better with pictures. So if anyone has access to a post or pictures of this I would be eternally grateful. It reads as a fairly easy job - but confirmation makes me feel warm and fuzzy.

2) I've done water pumps one my previous outboards and assisted on some others. But never a Yamaha. Any pitfalls to avoid? I did read to be sure to pull up on the shaft while installing the plastic and metal collars to make sure it is seated correctly. But besides that are there any "don't do this or you'll regret it" points.

3) On the Johnson/Evinrude engines there was a schrader valve on the fuel rail that allowed for easy fogging/de-carbing the 2 strokes. I see that on the Yamaha there is also a schrader valve right above the VST tank. Does this serve the same purpose? I can probably guess that the previous owners weren't avid de-carb people. If that is not what it is for - then what is it for? And what is the preferred method of de-carbbing the OX66

I know it's a lot for a first post - and there quite a few questions. But thank you all in advance! And I hopefully will be able to offer other general insight and pics/how to posts as I get this girl runnin.
    - Eazy Life
Working...
X