Yamaha 115 wont crank/trim doesn't work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yamaha 115 wont crank/trim doesn't work

my 1989 Yamaha ETLF115 was working perfectly when one month i was performing its monthly run and check, it wouldnt even attempt to crank, i could hear a click and everything else worked perfectly so i quickly assumed that the battery was fine and thought it was the starter solenoid so i replaced that and didnt change a thing. so i left it how it was for about 3-4 weeks. i come back to get this thing figured out and now its worse than before, now it doesnt crank, trim doesnt opperate either, but all other electronics work fine UNTIL i press either the trim buttons, turn the key, or try to crank the engine, the radio and fish finder shut off until i let go any of those buttons. i swapped the battery out, didnt change anything, i even attempted jump starting with a diesel truck, and also with a large jump starter and does not make any difference at all. any ideas or thoughts guys?? im baffled....

Would seem to me that your battery charge isn't sufficient or you've got a loose/corroded ground wire

swapped the battery with a new one? or with another one you had in the garage? Jump started with the truck running? or With it off and cables connected?
    Last edited by JerEazy1; 07-26-2017, 11:24 AM.
    - Eazy Life

Comment

Verify, with a load tester (free at automotive parts stores) that the battery is fully charged and good.

Then with a multi-meter start checking you main battery cables, for corrosion, bad connections, etc. (your checking for the voltage drop-BAD connection).

You have bad (likely larger cable, or battery switch) connection.
      Scott
      1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Originally posted by JerEazy1 View Post
        Would seem to me that your battery charge isn't sufficient or you've got a loose/corroded ground wire

swapped the battery with a new one? or with another one you had in the garage? Jump started with the truck running? or With it off and cables connected?
        Swapped with a new battery, jumped when truck was running.

Comment

Originally posted by Yamah115 View Post
          Swapped with a new battery, jumped when truck was running.

OK, from the same post, the results of ? :

Then with a multi-meter start checking you main battery cables, for corrosion, bad connections, etc. (your checking for the voltage drop-BAD connection).

You have a bad (likely larger cable, or battery switch) connection.

Scott
          1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Where are the batteries located in this boat? Console or aft?

If the console, you most likely have connections or terminals in the bilge area.
            Where the "battery" cables end and the Yamaha engine power cables begin, if that makes sense. This connection point can be very problematic since it is in a "wet" area. When you inspect the connections, take them apart and look for funk.

Comment

Originally posted by pstephens46 View Post
              Where are the batteries located in this boat? Console or aft?

If the console, you most likely have connections or terminals in the bilge area.
              Where the "battery" cables end and the Yamaha engine power cables begin, if that makes sense. This connection point can be very problematic since it is in a "wet" area. When you inspect the connections, take them apart and look for funk.
              ^ this

scotch bright or sand the terminals and the connections and bolt em back down tight. If the battery is hooked to a switch make sure those are clean and tight as well.
              - Eazy Life

Comment

Working...
              X