90HP charging at 16.2V

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 90HP charging at 16.2V

Hello from a sunny Cornwall, England. I have twin 2005 90 two strokes that run fine except one engine now charges at high voltage (16.2V) when over around 1500rpm. They both each have an independent VARTA E24 12V 70Ah CCA 630A battery that are 16 months old. They are totally separate from the other engine with no joining battery connections or switches. The problem engine starts no problem and all cables appear corrosion free and good and tight. Checked voltage with multimeter and is the same as the console guage. Votage drops if I use nav lights to 14.2V. Engine off battery reads 12.8V. I've read quite a few threads but I am confused as to where to start. I think I found the rectifier which has two green, one red and one black wires coming from it and it doesn't have any physical signs of damage to it. Is there a logical test sequence I can go through to source the problem please?

You could swap voltage regulator/rectifier around and see if the problem moves to the other engine.....

Comment

What model/Serial # is your engine?

Here is the parts diagram for a 2005 90hp TLRD....see #9.

2005 90TLRD Yamaha Outboard ELECTRICAL Diagram and Parts

Comment

What model/Serial # is your engine?

Here is the parts diagram for a 2005 90hp TLRD....see #9.

2005 90TLRD Yamaha Outboard ELECTRICAL Diagram and Parts

Comment

Obvious - thanks! Just to make sure is this the Rectifier?
          Attached Files

Comment

serial no. 6H1L 102 1158

Comment

Originally posted by CharlieH View Post
              Obvious - thanks! Just to make sure is this the Rectifier?
              Yes, that is the rectifier/regulator. The regulator part controls the voltage output. Or is supposed to.

Your model seems to be a 90AETO. Equivalent of a USA 90TLRD.

I would do as panasonic suggests and swap the R/R's to see if the problem transfers with the R/R. Before you do however, carefully inspect the ground connection on the problem R/R. The device shunts current to ground to control the voltage. If a poor connection prevents current from flowing to ground through the ground lead the voltage can be excessive.

Maybe look at the back side of the R/R for any signs of distress. That is where it typically shows up.

Now having said all of this, that particular R/R is known for being a bit problematic. Some folks have purchased a new part only to have the same problem. As you have found, you can always turn on some lights to bring the voltage down.

Comment

This got me thinking what the other engine was up to as it's battery runs the echo sounder/GPS/chartplotter, VHF & stereo which are always on when I'm out so drawing current. So I've just run it up without any electronics on and a similar situation although not quite as high of around 15.6V. I found a continuity test in the service manual and it failed on the green to green/white wires test so I guess its a new R/R, thanks for your help.

Comment

Originally posted by CharlieH View Post
                  This got me thinking what the other engine was up to as it's battery runs the echo sounder/GPS/chartplotter, VHF & stereo which are always on when I'm out so drawing current. So I've just run it up without any electronics on and a similar situation although not quite as high of around 15.6V. I found a continuity test in the service manual and it failed on the green to green/white wires test so I guess its a new R/R, thanks for your help.
                  Check and clean up your grounds as Boscoe says and retest....

Comment

Working...
                  X