In gear idle speed drops

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In gear idle speed drops

F225 lf225 2003. When I pull back on the throttles starboard motor(good one) rpms sometimes drop to 4 or 500 rpms. Also seems like the throttles don't sinc up. Also sometimes the key wont start like the motor isn't in neutral.

most likely two issues.
    the idle issue I would carefully test the ISC.
    the no start I would look at the safty switch and the start relay.

Comment

ISC? Are there specific ways to test
      Last edited by marchmadness; 07-16-2017, 09:49 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by marchmadness View Post
        ISC? Are there specific ways to test
        easiest for you?

you have two engines? - just swap them and see if the problem moves

its an electrical plug and 3 little screws

Comment

I'm not sure what ISC stands for and where its located. Is this something to inspect,clean or replace?
          Last edited by marchmadness; 07-17-2017, 09:18 AM.

Comment

I believe it's part #17:

2003 F225TURB Yamaha Outboard THROTTLE BODY ASSY 2 Diagram and Parts
            Scott
            1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Scott is correct; on top of the throttle bodies, port side.

btw, OP -an official Yamaha Service Manual is easy to obtain, and, IMO, excellent reading.

Comment

I guess there is no way to test a 358 dollar part other than switching with my other motor?

Comment

I guess there is no way to test a 358 dollar part other than switching with my other motor?

the Yamaha Diagnostic System software includes a test function for the ISC
                  do you have that?
                  if you do, you'll still want to remove the screws that hold it in place to watch it move

alternatively one can remove it and bench test it using 12v alternating current and a capacitor -
                  would you like some details on that?

Comment

That seems to be getting a little complicated. Might be simpliar to swap between motors

Comment

That seems to be getting a little complicated. Might be simpliar to swap between motors
                      Three screws and one plug, I'd say so...
                      Scott

Comment

one good result and one not

problem 1: key not working. I changed the starter relay and that seems to have fixed that
                        problem 2 : low idle while in gear. I changed isc valve today .But it still seems the same.
                        Explanation again of issue... while throttling back the motor the problem occurs when you pull out of acceleration to the dead area before you enter neutral.( I don't know what other way to explain it) The motor will go down to 500 rpms and I hear a chattering sound. If I bump it up to 600 or 700 all quiet.Sounds like something needs to be adjusted?

Comment

Chattering as in the engine area or lower as in lower unit area?

Post a video. You put a new ICV unit on motor?

Comment

I don't have a video but when I pull it into neutral all quiet. So I'm not sure if it's motor related from low rpms or possibly the water pump shaft collar.

Comment

The ISC should be easy to tell if its that chattering. When you turn off the engine you can easily hear it re-setting (chattering). Is it doing that at idle?

The at idle / neutral chattering sounds like the impeller collar not down fully. When in gear, it's got load on it, it stops...

The low idle is another issue...
                              Scott

Comment

Working...
                              X