Not sure what motor it is?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not sure what motor it is?

Hi everybody, Newbie here and of course with a question. I bought a 50 HP Yamaha 50tlrd with control box and installed it. It is a great motor and runs like a bandit. I enclosed some photos of it as I have a question. It was listed on eBay as a 50tlrd but it has no identifying information as the serial numbers are missing and or painted over. The only number I could find on it is on the top of the motor and they are 922818. I was curious if there is a way to access the info on this particular motor. I assume it's a 40 or 50 2004 or 2005 by matching up on the web. I also assume it's not stolen.... Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
    Joe
    Last edited by bigjoe66; 07-12-2017, 11:40 AM. Reason: no pictures

A 50TLRD is a 2005 model year Yamaha two stroke. Parts for it can be seen here:

2005 50TLRD Yamaha Outboard Parts

Look on the block, in the vicinity of the starter motor, for a round decal. It will have some numbers across it. What are those numbers? These numbers by the way are the alternate serial number.

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
      A 50TLRD is a 2005 model year Yamaha two stroke. Parts for it can be seen here:

2005 50TLRD Yamaha Outboard Parts

Look on the block, in the vicinity of the starter motor, for a round decal. It will have some numbers across it. What are those numbers? These numbers by the way are the alternate serial number.
      what do i do with those numbers? I have tried to type them in to look for parts and nothing comes up.

Comment

You are answering a question with a question. Where is the answer to my question first? Seemed to me that you wanted to get to the complete engine ID, which you say is missing or painted over. I am trying to help you find it. I can't find it myself sitting here behind my keyboard.

If I could imagine your specific engine numbers then I could imagine the specific powerball numbers for this weeks drawing. I can't do that. Wish I could. I would buy you a brand new EFI F50.

The numbers for your motor have to be added to the primary ID prefix and the shaft length letter code for your motor.

For instance 6H5K is a 2005 50TLRD model prefix. L is the shaft length. The first serial number for a 2005 50 HP two stroke here in the US is 1003685. When assembled together the complete engine ID becomes 6H5KL 1003685.

If you put the complete engine ID into the search box at Yamaha USA's website it will take you the correct parts catalog. The same catalog that you can get to at the boats.net website by searching on a model 50TLRD. Which is the model that you told us you have.

Comment

OP post the numbers here so boscoe and others can see them.

why would you say "I also assume it's not stolen" when thieves tend to do away with IDs on stolen motors and your has none.
          I myself would assume it was stolen and not by it because of that

Comment

My new truck has a screw driver so that it can be started. The ignition system has been removed. I assume that it is not stolen. Since I got such a good deal on it.

Comment

I'm trying to upload some photo's but it won't let me upload. I don't know how yet.
              first, I bought it on eBay from a seller that shipped it to me. It arrived with a fresh coat of paint and no #'s
              second, Boscoe, I've done everything that you have described in your post and no where on the web will it ID this alternate serial number. the number from the motor is 922818. You posted that The first serial number for a 2005 50 HP two stroke here in the US is 1003685. I have no doubts you are correct. there are seven numbers in that serial number, [1003685] there are six in mine.... [922818] I'm assuming from that information that the motor I bought is indeed an earlier model.
              I can see that the 40 and 50 hp Yamaha's are practically identical even down to the cubic inches. It looks to that the motors are practically the same for many years from 94 - 2011. Please don't take that to heart it's just an off the top of my head observation.
              My question is... Is it possible for me to identify this motor only using this number. 922818
              I LOVE the motor, it runs like a dream!!! I don't want to get any one in trouble! I of course hope it isn't stolen but of course if it is I will contact the authorities. I am simply curious as to what year and horse power this motor is.
              I'll work on the photo's. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
                OP post the numbers here so boscoe and others can see them.

why would you say "I also assume it's not stolen" when thieves tend to do away with IDs on stolen motors and your has none.
                I myself would assume it was stolen and not by it because of that
                Boscoe or a few others can confirm this...I believe the motor ID plate is fixed to the bracket with a very durable adhesive. At least mine is, and it's still there after 20 years. Therefore the reason the motor ID is missing is suspect.

I agree with 99yam...there is only one logical reason the ID has been removed or painted over. However, there does exist one logical exemption...not all people are logical.
                Jason
                1998 S115TLRW + 1976 Aquasport 170

Comment

Bigjoe, are you seeing the numbers you mention (922818) on a decal that looks like the one in this photograph at this link?

https://www.google.com/search?q=yama...sYbQYQjg6m3DM:

Does the motor use premix and not oil injection? If so I am guessing that you might have a C50TLR(X) from around 2001.

With the exception of the premix or oil injection system the C50/50 are damn near one and the same. Both of these motor, for a number of years, use the same parts. Easily found at the boats.net website link that I gave you. If you are in need of spare parts.

The number itself (922818) does not mean anything. You have to have the stuff in front of it as well. In the case of a C50 it would be 6H5L 0922818.
                  Last edited by boscoe99; 07-12-2017, 06:38 PM.

Comment

Bigjoe, are you seeing the numbers you mention (922818) on a decal that looks like the one in this photograph at this link?

Yes That's it exactly!

Comment

Originally posted by bigjoe66 View Post
                      Yes That's it exactly!
                      Is your motor premix or oil injected?

In any event, it is not a 50TLRD. It is earlier than that.

Comment

Is your motor premix or oil injected?

In any event, it is not a 50TLRD. It is earlier than that.
                        It is a premix and thanks for your help!!!

Comment

The photos I took are to big to post, my wife said she'll size them to fit this weekend. Thank you all for your help. Very, Very appreciated!!!

Comment

Does the motor use premix and not oil injection? If so I am guessing that you might have a C50TLR(X) from around 2001.

With the exception of the premix or oil injection system the C50/50 are damn near one and the same. Both of these motor, for a number of years, use the same parts. Easily found at the boats.net website link that I gave you. If you are in need of spare parts.

The number itself (922818) does not mean anything. You have to have the stuff in front of it as well. In the case of a C50 it would be 6H5L 0922818.
                            Boscoe I agree it is more likely this motor. I'm comparing pictures of it to mine and they are practically identical where as I could find small differences in the 2005 model. The same goes for parts. I am calling a Yamaha dealer this morning to make sure but I'm thinking maybe I should be happy with what I got. You know your stuff!!!

Comment

Working...
                            X