No announcement yet.

Oil very slowly drips from my 2007 50HP Yahama lower unit area

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Panasonic. I did not put the boat back in the water. I trimmed the motor fully up to see if it leaked with the new yamaha gear lube in it. It did. It's leaking out the slot that's probably for prying off the foot once the bolts are removed. So I'm assuming that's indicating a bad shift rod seal or a bad drive shaft seal. This is a 2007 T50TLR and I've watched a few videos on removing the foot, but besides the 2 bolts on either side of the unit and 1 under a plastic cap, I can't determine if there one hiding under the skag or not. I'll have to check the parts manual. Thank you

Comment

oops, I said a bolt under the skag. I meant the trim tab.

Comment

Originally posted by kodak guy View Post
        oops, I said a bolt under the skag. I meant the trim tab.
        Pretty sure there is one hiding under the trim tab...and maybe one down through midsection as well I can't remember for sure. Parts diagram Wil show it.

Hopefully is is the drive shaft seal or shift rod seal as they are relatively easy to change out. Prop shaft seal is a lot more involved and you need a puller to remove the seal carrier.

Haul the LU and have a look.

Comment

Prop shaft seals R/R doesn't have to be a lot more involved. No need to pull the carrier unless its the carrier O ring that's leaking, which probably isn't.
          KISS method. I've done a couple, them seals whistle right out of there, unlike a Bravo

Comment

I'd personally pressure test it FIRST before tearing anything down.

See EXACTLY what seals are leaking, your fishing line removal may have already solved the issue...

It'd also verify if the shifter seal is leaking (soapy water while pressurized-looking for bubbles).

Scott
            1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Originally posted by scofflaw View Post
              Prop shaft seals R/R doesn't have to be a lot more involved. No need to pull the carrier unless its the carrier O ring that's leaking, which probably isn't.
              KISS method. I've done a couple, them seals whistle right out of there, unlike a Bravo
              Yes I agree there are ways of getting the prop shaft seals out without pulling the seal carrier. I can get them out and obviously you can as well. BUT doing it without pulling the carrier you run the risk of damaging the prop shaft. I am hesitant of recommending that to people who I don't know their skill level..

No offense to the poster of this thread.

Comment

Originally posted by TownsendsFJR1300 View Post
                I'd personally pressure test it FIRST before tearing anything down.

See EXACTLY what seals are leaking, your fishing line removal may have already solved the issue...

It'd also verify if the shifter seal is leaking (soapy water while pressurized-looking for bubbles).

Mister Townsends make a good point. If you got an small air compressor you can pressure test the LU and check which seal or seals are leaking..it is not hard to do.

Where have you been Townsends anyway?

Comment

Originally posted by panasonic View Post
                  Mister Townsends make a good point. If you got an small air compressor you can pressure test the LU and check which seal or seals are leaking..it is not hard to do.

Where have you been Townsends anyway?
                  "Scott" please..

Just been in a crappy mood, laying back, watching the show..
                  Scott

Comment

[QUOTE=

Where have you been Townsends anyway?[/QUOTE]

He's been on the road, He's a salesman for Ringfree and K100 now

Comment

Originally posted by scofflaw View Post
                      He's been on the road, He's a salesman for Ringfree and K100 now
                      Ah, my self admitted "*****ing" neighbor!

Traffic is sooo much lighter with the "snowbirds" gone. Can actually get into restaurants AGAIN!!!

Nah, I don't report to anyone anymore, (cept maybe my customers).

Work out of the garage, busy between working on small engines and supplying my distributor in NC: The Easy Helmet Lock for the BMW K1300S, K1200S, K1300R, K1200R, K1200R Sport, R1200R

I was hoping to get your old blown up engine for a tear down, see what actually failed...

Scott

Comment

Originally posted by TownsendsFJR1300 View Post
                        Ah, my self admitted "*****ing" neighbor!

Traffic is sooo much lighter with the "snowbirds" gone. Can actually get into restaurants AGAIN!!!

Nah, I don't report to anyone anymore, (cept maybe my customers).

Work out of the garage, busy between working on small engines and supplying my distributor in NC: The Easy Helmet Lock for the BMW K1300S, K1200S, K1300R, K1200R, K1200R Sport, R1200R

I was hoping to get your old blown up engine for a tear down, see what actually failed...

Scott....not all Canadians are bad, just the ones who winter in Florida...lol

Comment

Originally posted by panasonic View Post
                          Scott....not all Canadians are bad, just the ones who winter in Florida...lol
                          I wasn't talking about Canadians.

My next door neighbors are Canadians (here 6 months of the year), they rent out during season (winter). Really, really nice folks. Wish they were here full time!

It's the "yankee's" from the northern US...
                          Scott

Comment

Oh I see...not getting involved in that debate then. Take care.

Comment

Thanks for your feedback. Apparently, the seal for the shift shaft popped out of the plastic plate that should secure it in place. The seal was fine. It got put back in place and 3 tabs to hold it were fabricated by melting the plate around it a bit.

Comment

Thanks for the replies. It turned out to be a seal for the shift shaft that popped out of the plastic holder. It was re-installed and 3 tabs were melted over the plastic to hold it back in with a soldering iron.

Comment

Working...
                                X