Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F225A 2001 fault code 28 shift position switch

Hi everyone,

I've read several posts related to fault code 28 on Yamaha outboard engines but none of the solutions seems to be applicable in my case.

I'm experiencing a fault code 28 which is related to the swift position switch. As a result of this, I can't rev the engine higher than 4200 RPM.

I've disconnected the wires that run from the switch to the ECU to test the switch function. The switch works the way it's supposed to. I've also tried alternating between gears (forward, neutral, reverse, etc.) and the switch does not get stuck in a wrong position.

When I reconnect the wires to the ECU, I get the error code again.

Would you guys have any ideas on what the cause of this may be?

Thank you in advance.

The switch being open, or the ECU thinking that it is open, will limit the WOT RPM's. The ECU thinks the motor is in neutral.

The switch itself can be just fine. The wiring being defective (an open circuit) is just as good as a failed switch. Wiring to or from the switch.

Comment

make sure you are messing with the proper switch.
      maybe a picture or part # would help make sure everyone is talking about the same switch

Comment

Interesting - I don't think about this function.
        My switch or wiring could be defective, and I would never know:
        I never go over 4500 in gear.

I do wonder about the "shift cut switch" - would I notice if that was not working?

I suppose I should disable it and experience the difference....

Comment

Boscoe is gonna fuss that Fairdeal never runs motor over 4500 rpm....

Run it like you stole it....

Comment

Boscoe would never run a motor over 4500 RPM either. In neutral. It's a shame that an engine maker has to try and stop some fool from doing this.

"My motor will run just fine to 5500 RPM in idle on the muffs but won't go over 2000 when in gear in the water. What is wrong"?

How many times have we heard this?

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
              Boscoe would never run a motor over 4500 RPM either. In neutral. It's a shame that an engine maker has to try and stop some fool from doing this.

"My motor will run just fine to 5500 RPM in idle on the muffs but won't go over 2000 when in gear in the water. What is wrong"?

How many times have we heard this?
              Fairdeal said "in gear"

And I am being a trouble maker....

Comment

Originally posted by pstephens46 View Post
                Fairdeal said "in gear"

And I am being a trouble maker....
                Yes, he did.

Yes, you are.

Except for doing a power check maybe once a year I never ran my outboard motors at wide open throttle either. Around 4000 RPM was the most efficient spot. At 3 bucks a gallon and burning 10 gallons an hour I could not afford to run much above that RPM. That and the pounding would get to me.

Comment

Originally posted by fairdeal View Post

Interesting - I don't think about this function.
                  My switch or wiring could be defective, and I would never know:
                  I never go over 4500 in gear.

I do wonder about the "shift cut switch" - would I notice if that was not working?

I suppose I should disable it and experience the difference....
                  I believe that cut switch to help get the motor out of gear.
                  maybe hard to get out of gear if the motor does not drop RPM for a second.

something to do with the way the gears are cut I think.

I wonder how bad it is,
                  and how many people have experienced it and had no idea what the problem was
                  Last edited by 99yam40; 07-06-2017, 08:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
                    I believe that cut switch to help get the motor out of gear.
                    maybe hard to get out of gear if the motor does not drop RPM for a second.
                    yes, that is my understanding also -
                    although it would be the "dog clutch" disengaging: the gears are constantly meshed

I should see what happens without the effect of the switch -

perhaps one yanks frantically on the control lever - but the engine won't
                    "let go" and come out of gear?

note to self:
                    experiment away from the concrete dock or other hard objects...

Comment

Originally posted by fairdeal View Post
                      yes, that is my understanding also -
                      although it would be the "dog clutch" disengaging: the gears are constantly meshed

I should see what happens without the effect of the switch -

perhaps one yanks frantically on the control lever - but the engine won't
                      "let go" and come out of gear?

note to self:
                      experiment away from the concrete dock or other hard objects...
                      The early F200/F225's had a linkage/bushing problem where the motor would not idle down. I don't recall if and how the cut switch was affected. Maybe the linkage prevented the throttle from being retarded to the point that the cut switch was engaged. The motor could not be shifted out of gear, as hard as one might have pulled on the shift handle. In any event, it would happen just about the time a boat got to a dock. Moving at a fast clip. Folks were ramming docks. People got hurt. There are two recalls out for early motors.

Comment

there are two switchs on the shift slide.
                        one is shift cut the other indicates in a gear or not.
                        the shift position actually has a ref voltage and a resistor.
                        test it as per the service manual.
                        you can also watch it on YDS.

Comment

I think my F150 burns about 65 GPH at 5800.
                          Seems that way anyhow....

Comment

wallet cost is why I don't do WOT much.
                            I did run my F150 at 5600 for about 25 min once. made it back to kitty hawk bay just as the sun went down.
                            that motor is just as happy at 5600 as at 3500.

Comment

Working...
                            X