No announcement yet.

NMEA 2000 to 2017 F200XB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've looked at the lowrance/simrad Yamaha engine data harness. It's nothing more than a cable with the Yamaha connector at one and a NMEA2000 at the other. Unless there is a "stealth gateway" in there somewhere LOL. Which leads me to believe connecting the corresponding Net Hi and Net Lo to the blue and white Yamaha wiring gets you engine data on to your NMEA network. What you describe sounds like using 4 network switches to hook up 2 computers... per se..

Comment

Guys I don't want to hijack this thread, but it appears you have the problem well in hand and obviously you know your stuff, I have a question.

My dual engine setup with square command link gauges appears to have the multi link hub full. There's one open port for a resistor, not an input/output cable. I'd like to add the engine data to my new MFD. I have a functional NMEA backbone integrated to the MFD already. I know how I can add the Yamaha cord to my NMEA backbone, but if my hub is full... is there the ability to link two multi-hubs together? Or would you have a more efficient solution.

I know I can purchase a second multi-hub for approx $40, but I'm having a tough time finding how to connect it to the existing hub. I'm imagining there's a cable from the plug on the end to a second multi-hub, which is fine if I can find it, but after reading this thread I'm curious if I should simply be stripping wires and saving the $40 for beverages instead.

Thanks in advance.

Comment

I don't want you to think I'm arguing your point Boscoe99. Yes a layperson is better off buying the equipment or better have a trained person install it. I'm neither one of those. I wired fighter jets for years. Now I'm the "electrical guru" at my dealership. I've seen a lot of bad wiring in my day. I deal with a lot of aftermarket remote start/alarm issues which are usually a result of poor installation. My point is the Yamaha wiring is a mess and has no continuity between options. a NMEA 2000 is plug and play too, but much easier to expand on as well as much easier on the eyes. It would seem much easier to me that Yamaha, as well as other manufacturers, make cables that interconnect their equipment with the NMEA 2000 network. Installation would be much easier and neater this way. But no, let's by a bunch of stuff that takes the protocol its' already speaking to adapt it to equipment that is speaking the same language. See what I'm saying ? Fairdeal and you have provided me with most of the information I need . I'll make some very nice adapters and maybe I'll sell them to Yamaha someday.

Comment

Working...
        X