Water in Lwr. Unit during winter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water in Lwr. Unit during winter

I had a problem with my lwr. unit This Spring [ F-90 2005]. It was winterized properly the lwr. unit gear oil was changed [it was OK at the time] and the motor was stored outside [In Canada]in an upright position tilted up slightly to allow for boat drainage and clear the ground.
    Somehow water got into the lwr. unit because when I launched it-- it was dispersing a film residue from the exhaust. I took it out checked the lwr. unit gear oil & it was milky white.

Since then I had the seals & the gear oil changed . I ran it for 10hrs and then pulled it to check & the Gear oil was milky again.

How could the water have possibly entered the lwr. unit in the 1st place?
    What is wrong with the motor?

I ALSO HAVE WATER IN THE LOWER UNIT ON MY F225. IT WILL HAVE TO BE REMOVED FROM THE ENGINE AND DISASSEMBLED. OIL SEALS ARE LEAKING BY ALLOWING OIL TO LEAK OUT AND WATER TO GET IN.

Comment

Bloatis,
      Water can enter the lower unit from either the seals around the prop shaft or the drive shaft.
      The drive shaft seals are located just under the water pump.
      From what I understand, the drive shaft seals fail more often than the prop shaft seals.
      To get to the drive shaft seals, the lower unit has to be dropped and the water pump removed.
      Good luck [img]smile.gif[/img] ,
      Ken K

Comment

Working...
      X