Replacing starter solenoid.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacing starter solenoid.

My 20 amp fuse kept blowing. After inspection, I noticed a lot of corrosion and rust on solenoid. I decided to replace. The two little switch wires are a closed circuit when tested after being removed. The two large terminals remain an open circuit, after removal. I took pics of the wiring as I removed. But, my phone crashed and I no longer have those pics. can anyone share a wiring diagram for 50 hp ,and or offer advise on this issue.

might help if you identified this 50 motor

service maunal will have info.
    but with that said, there should not be continuity between the small wires as that would mean they were calling for the relay to be energize.

I take that back, if both small wires were tied together then they both would have the same voltage or ground on them
    Last edited by 99yam40; 05-25-2017, 07:50 PM.

Comment

I think its a TRD50L or, something like that. I removed more wires than needed, to assure room to work.

Comment

Previous posts show a 2005 50TR, however, I don't see that model in the parts diagrams..
        Scott
        1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Its the same motor as mentioned in other posts. I figured out where the starter cable goes, but cant figure out where the two smaller gauge red wires should go. They seem to be connected to the ignition block.( for lack the proper term).

Comment

These folks around here prefer an exact model number. They frequently reference diagrams to try to assist. Yam makes so many damn changes that it is hard to keep up.

Comment

Pic of the wires.

wiring.jpg
              This is a picture of the two wires I'm speaking of.

Comment

When he says small control wires, I thought that would be the Br and Black to the coil.
                if disconnected from relay they should not have conductivity.
                but now he shows 2 red wires not on the control side

Comment

The diagram shows two red wire besides the positive from the battery. those must be the two wires I show in the picture. The red from the starter and the two smaller red should be on one post of solenoid, and the negative from the battery on the other solenoid post.
                  is this correct?

Comment

I mentioned earlier that I had continuity between the brown and black after being removed. I meant after I removed the solenoid from the bracket, and disconnected the brown and black wire. I then had continuity between the two small control posts from which the brn and blk wires were attached.
                    I was trying not to be too wordy. sorry for the confusion.

Comment

This is a pic of the condition of old solenoid.

wiring 2.jpg
                      Here is the only other pic I have.
                      Thanks in advance.

Comment

well that clears things up a bit,
                        if you are still asking about the 2 red wires, the pic Boscoe posted shows where they go

Comment

Wonder if that motor went for a swim?

Comment

Well, as usual, I have received a lot of positive help. I'm still blowing that fuse.
                            Prior to fuse blow, tilt works and so does starter. But after a few seconds the fuse still blows.

Comment

Does it blow if nothing is being used?

need to trace down /isolate different things feeding from the fuse to see what part of wiring or devices have the problem

Comment

Working...
                              X