Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• weak stream

1995 150 TRXT

The boat ran good last year. It is run in salt water but I flush religiously after each use. I went to start it for the season and when I went to start it off the muffs I didn't get any stream. I pushed the muffs together and got a weak stream. Then my over heat alarm went off. I just did the water pump and got the same result. I ran the motor in a barrel and got the same result. If I connect the flush to the hose I get a good stream but did not run the engine. Any ideas what this could be and is it okay to run the motor in a barrel and off the flush. I think that would help pin point the problem. Thermostats were done last year. I cold do them again but I really don't think it's my issue.
    Thanks!

PRV sticking open maybe
    Did you replace pump with a kit?
    what about the housing?
    Last edited by 99yam40; 05-13-2017, 05:24 PM.

Comment

Yes a kit. The housing looked ok it wasn't cracked or anything. I'm not sure what a bad one would look like. I just ran it in the barrel and off the flush an didn't get any alarms.

What is PRV?

thanks!

Comment

Pressure Relief Valve

Comment

Would that still be a possibility now that the engine will run without an alarm off the barrel and the flush? I hate monkeying around stripping screws on an old engine if I don't have to.
          Thanks
          Last edited by LEAD PIPE; 05-13-2017, 06:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by LEAD PIPE View Post
            1995 150 TRXT

I pushed the muffs together and got a weak stream. Then my over heat alarm went off. I just did the water pump and got the same result. I ran the motor in a barrel and got the same result. If I connect the flush to the hose I get a good stream but did not run the engine. Any ideas what this could be and is it okay to run the motor in a barrel and off the flush. I think that would help pin point the problem. Thermostats were done last year. I cold do them again but I really don't think it's my issue.
            Thanks!
            Yes, if in a barrel and using the flushing device, you can run the engine(your lubricating the impeller and cooling the power-head)...

Part #46, (two bolts) is the PCV: http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Ya...ASE/parts.html

Also, if the water pump HOUSING (not included in the kit), is warped, damaged, etc at all, it can cause water pumping issues... Assuming the impeller is installed with the fins the correct direction...

Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 05-13-2017, 08:04 PM.
            Scott
            1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Thanks!! Does using the flush somehow bypass The PRV? It ran fine on the flush/barrel.

Thanks again

Comment

another cause of low water pressure is the damper seal under the impeller wear plate.
                if there is much corrosion under the seal it will prevent the new plate from sealing to the gasket and leak air into the pump.
                did you remove the seal and clean the seal and holder?
                did you remove the driveshaft seal cover and inspect the garter springs?

Comment

Yes, we cleaned everything there wasn't any corrosion. We even took off the intake covers to make sure nothing was blocking them. Do you know if running off the flush bypasses the PRV? I want to be able to eliminate that. Also if it runs fine off the flush/ barrel combo is it safe to say the the problem is below the engine?
                  Thanks!

Comment

Also, when I trouble shoot the over heating problem I don't see anything about the PRV.

Comment

I'm going to start working on this tomorrow. Any answer for does the flush bypass the PRV?

Comment

Working...
                      X